How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7962
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I am sole beneficiary and an executor of my late mother’s

Customer Question

I am sole beneficiary and an executor of my late mother’s will. Confirmation has been granted, lawyer has both my identification and proof of my address, but wants to see my bank statements before releasing the funds. Is this usual?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Court has confirmed confirmation and released funds to the lawyer. He has told me I have to give him access to a bank statement to make sure the funds are being paid into correct account, surely my bank card would be all he would need, as this has my name, account number etc on it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nonothing
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

There is no requirement for them to see a bank statement, as the beneficiary you can have the funds deposited into any account you own, you only need to provide account details and proof the account is yours.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Would my bank card be sufficient? It has my name, sort code and account number on it?
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

A bank document showing the address is best.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.