james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am sole beneficiary and an executor of my late mother’s

Customer Question

I am sole beneficiary and an executor of my late mother’s will. Confirmation has been granted, lawyer has both my identification and proof of my address, but wants to see my bank statements before releasing the funds. Is this usual?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Scotland
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Court has confirmed confirmation and released funds to the lawyer. He has told me I have to give him access to a bank statement to make sure the funds are being paid into correct account, surely my bank card would be all he would need, as this has my name, account number etc on it
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nonothing
Expert:  james bruce replied 17 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

There is no requirement for them to see a bank statement, as the beneficiary you can have the funds deposited into any account you own, you only need to provide account details and proof the account is yours.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Would my bank card be sufficient? It has my name, sort code and account number on it?

A bank document showing the address is best.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thankyou

Your welcome.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.