How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 7881
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have a solicitors firm who I’m not really happy with as

Customer Question

I have a solicitors firm who I’m not really happy with as they are not really backing me after they said I had a strong case after 2 and a half years can you take my case off them??
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: the defended had admitted liability and I have been in pain and suffering for over 2 and half years I’ve had mri scans and been on medication
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just feel that my solicitor is not very bothered and not really fighting my case after the defendants are in the wrong and said I had a very strong case
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter. 

Is this a personal injury case?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it is
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello ??
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

We cannot take the case here, this is general online advice only.

You are free to change lawyers at any time. However, how are you funding the current law form? Are you paying them or is it no win no fee?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No win no fee
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Who can help me?
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Then before looking to change them, you need to take a long hard look at the terms and conditions of your instructing them. In almost all cases of no win no fee, there will be a clause stating that if you terminate them before the end of the case, then they can invoice you for the work carried out and that would be at private client rates. So you could face a bill for thousands that would be legallay payable.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have sent them an email with my thoughts and regarding how they are not really backing me as a client,
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

Solicitors often do a lot of work behind the scenes. Also they do not up date on a daily basis, they will do so when there is something to inform.

Personally injury cases can take many months or even several years to conclude. This is common especially if ongoing treatment is taking place.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
But the independent expert has said I should be better 6-8 weeks and it’s been over 2 and a half years so how can he be an expert if I’m still in pain and suffering??
Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

I am not a doctor . I cannot answer that but the lawyer cannot be responsible for what an independent person says.

Maybe he was wrong, maybe you are not as I’ll as you think, maybe what is wrong with you now is not related, in a legal context there could be many reasons that could be argued. But as advised personally injury cases take a long time.

It is not simply a matter of saying this or that has happened so I want this amount. Cases can take a number of years as I have already said especially if ongoing treatment is happening.

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.

bit to go back to your question, yes you can use a different lawyer. You can pay privately or find a new no win no fee firm, but do be prepared to pay a large private client bill to the current form is you stop using the .

Expert:  james bruce replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
My solicitors have not got back to me,
Ignoring my calls and emails!
Can I do anything about this?
Expert:  james bruce replied 5 days ago.
Lodge a complaint to the firm and the legal ombudsman.