How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GabrielP428 Your Own Question
GabrielP428, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 450
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
GabrielP428 is online now

Debt collection, Debt collection, London

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Debt collection
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Debt collection
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: London
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  GabrielP428 replied 12 days ago.

Hi, my name is***** am a solicitor in England and Wales with 9 years of experience and have worked in the legal sector since 2008.

This service is not instant, so please note that I cannot always reply immediately due to other work commitments. I look forward to helping you with your legal problem.

If you would like a call to discuss this further, please let me know

A call is a premium service that includes an extra charge.

Expert:  GabrielP428 replied 12 days ago.

Hi, can you give me more details, please?

Expert:  GabrielP428 replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I have limited information. I will provide an answer which I hope will be helpful to you.

If you have reason to believe that you do not owe them the money, you will be able to challenge the debt collectors.

You can use this template to reply to their letter:

Dear Sir/Madam

Account number:

Your account or reference number (required)

You have contacted me about the account with the above reference number, which you claim I owe.I have no knowledge of any such debt being owed to

I am familiar with the Financial Conduct Authority's (FCA) Consumer Credit sourcebook which states the following."A firm must not ignore or disregard a customer's claim that a debt has been settled or is disputed and must not continue to make demands for payment without providing clear justification and/or evidence as to why the customer's claim is not valid."

7.5.3"A firm must suspend any steps it takes or its agent takes in the recovery of a debt from a customer where the customer disputes the debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds."

7.14.1"Where a customer disputes a debt on valid grounds or what may be valid grounds, the firm must investigate the dispute and provide details of the debt to the customer in a timely manner."

7.14.3If you do not stop collection activity whilst investigating my dispute, you are breaking FCA rules and guidance.

Also, ignoring claims that debts have been settled or are disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment is harassment.

Please do not make any further contact about the above accounts unless you can provide evidence of my liability for the debt.

I await your written confirmation that this matter is now closed. Otherwise, I will have no option but to make a complaint to my local trading standards service and consider informing the FCA of your actions.I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours faithfully

Expert:  GabrielP428 replied 11 days ago.

I hope I was able to offer some help. If you have further questions, please do feel free to ask them in this thread.

Thank you so much for using Just Answer.