AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

Since 2019 I have been working as a support worker on a zero

Customer Question

Hello, since 2019 I have been working as a support worker on a zero hours contract as a support worker. For tax purposes I am paid through my company. I have been told that this means I am self-employed and therefore not entitled to holiday pay. If that is the case is my company permitted to negotiate a higher rate of pay to take holiday provision into account?
JA: What is your employer's holiday policy?
Customer: I'm not sure, it was never given to me. I initially stepped in as emergency cover for my son during covid and have been working ever since, sometimes 24hrs for over a week, sometimes covering support workers who have gone on annual leave. I have been told that if I was employed directly on a zero hours contract I would be entitled to holiday pay.
JA: Is the workplace represented by a union?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing else. Thank you.
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 8 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialize in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hello, nothing else to add.

You are still entitled to the holiday pay as it's stated in the law that almost all workers are legally entitled to 5.6 weeks paid holiday a year (known as statutory leave entitlement or annual leave).

This includes agency workers,  workers with irregular hours and workers on zero-hours contracts. 

Do you have a copy of your contract?

Apologies as I am not able to take calls at the moment but the request is open to other Experts to help you. I am however available and happy to continue chatting on the platform.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Patrick just called me but went through to voicemail. Please call again.
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 7 days ago.
Hello. Have you now spoken to Patrick?