AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

My ex is taking me to court and is threatening to recover

Customer Question

Hi, my ex is taking me to court and is threatening to recover his costs from me? Can he do this?
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wales
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: We've had one court hearing and are due another next week. His solicitor has written to me stating that his intention is to recover his cost from myself.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, I wanted to settle out of court and attended mediation. He stopped the mediation after a single meeting. Will this go in my favour? I don't have legal representation due to financial issues, leaving me fighting alone, a battle I have no understanding of.
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialize in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Alison, no I think that's it. I'm just very concerned as I cannot afford representation in court and feel I have a large disadvantage and it frightens me.

Can you please provide further information? What specific cost does he want from you? Did they specify that in the letter they sent you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
his solicitor wrote a letter to me stating his intentions are to recover all court costs from me, amounting to a figure approximately £11,000. I wanted to settle out of court and attended mediation, but he refused to attend after just one meeting. Does this not go in my favour?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We separated 12 years ago, and I have remained in the home and now he wants to sell. I understand this, but he refuses to come to an agreement

Do you have a copy of the letter they sent you? If they ask you to cover all court costs from you, may I know what specific complaint or case they file against you?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
All my paperwork is at home. I can certainly copy these to you later today

Yes, you can send it here later so I can review and advise accordingly.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you very much
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 12 days ago.

No problem. We are always here to help.