How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 367
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

I’m an international student having student visa in the UK.

Customer Question

Hello. I’m an international student having student visa in the UK. And recently I knew some people on Seeking Arrangement. I date 4 of with them and every time they give me cash gifts. Could the gifts from them counts as gifts but not income. Am I doing illegal things?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Yeah one said it’s legal and the other one said it’s arguable. I live in the UK and my question is related to UK laws.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Nothing. Thanks
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Hello, please be aware that this service is not meant for legal advice.

I will try to understand your circumstances, but, if you consulted solicitors, you should follow their advice and, if you still have doubts, you should seek for a new legal opinion.

Can you please clarify what exactly your doubts are about?

Please do not provide any personal information.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I’m confused that if what I’m doing is illegal
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Please bear with me as I having an issue with my pc

I will revert back to you asap

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

What kind of gift are these?r

Are they made on specific occasions or when?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Cash gift. Sometimes we have sexual activity, sometimes not.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

What's the average amount of them?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
About 400 per meet
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

I understand your concern is about?

-this activity being illegal;

-this activity not be\ing allowed under a student visa;

-this being an income that should be taxed.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Yeah that’s my concerns. So could you explain these concerns of me, thanks.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Dear customer, as I said, this service is not for legal advice, but I can tell you the following as general guidance.

The activity in itself might not be illegal depending on the actual circumstances, but, let alone that the income would be taxable is the activity is run legitimately and professionally, it would certainly not be allowed under a student visa, as you cannot be self-employed or engage in business activity, while, on another note, if the activity were carried out in an illegal way, this could have consequences on your visa anyway.

If you want to carry on doing what you are doing, you should get legal advice from a trusted solicitor for all the aspect relating to the legitimacy of the activity, also under tax law, and you should speak with an immigration solicitor or adviser about your options.

Of course, it could be different if you, just from time to time, occasionally, accept a cash gift from someone.

But, again, you should speak with a solicitor about this, to not get into trouble with your immigration status in the UK.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.