How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 375
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

I am the only director of ltd company I ran with my prtnr.

Customer Question

I am the only director of ltd company I ran with my prtnr. We separated Dec 21. He took business over and I have had nothing to do with it or any income from it since then. It has outstanding bounce back loan, £10000 overdraft and £3000 electric bill. He has continued to run business in same name but is obviously using different bank account. How do I remove my name as director and get clear of whole shebang?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in Colchester Essex England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Ex prtnr took business van that was also in my name and has run up multiple parking fines. DVLA have been notified. We were together 16 years and have 3 children under 6. He still operates business under same name and advertises on Facebook using my home address for contact
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 13 days ago.

Hello, this is quite a complex situation and this service is not meant for legal advice.

You should speak with a solicitor urgently.

As far as your position as a director is concerned, I wonder why, from December last year, you have not resigned yet.

You should do this as soon as possible and inform Companies House of your resignation.

However, this does not change the fact that you have been director of the company for a certain period, and you will keep the responsibilities ad a director for that period.

You say that the company has liabilities for a BBL, overdraft and utility bills.

These are of course the company's obligation, but, there are of course responsibilities of the director for the debt management at the time the director was in charge and, officially, you are still the director of the company.

I perfectly understand that, when there is a separation and there are children, there are priorities, but I'm afraid that not taking any action on this for more than six months is a mistake.

As I said, you need to seek independent legal advice from a solicitor on this.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.