How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlisonSolicitor Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 314
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
AlisonSolicitor is online now

Just wonder if an ex husband can contest the divorce

This answer was rated:

Hello. Just wonder if an ex husband can contest the divorce decision regarding the property? 4 parts of the marital house was awarded to ex wife and only one fifth to ex husband
JA: Was the house purchased during the marriage?
Customer: yes
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: Husband was paying the mortgage although mortgage was on both's names
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My friend was thrown out of the house bš ex wife's sons from previuos relationshipCustomer: Chat is completed

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ex wife filed for divorce after ex husband was

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hi Alison. She filled for divorce after husband was made redundant. Her sons from previous relationship didn't let him in the house. He became homeless. She treated him extra cruely
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can he seek emotional damages after 13years? He had a nervous break down.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'd rather have answers in writing. I forget quickly when spoken on the phone

Can I ask if the husband was given occupancy right after the divorce?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What does it mean? Like to live in the same house? If yes, then he was not given such right..He slept on the bench outside in winter
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He paid mortgage, she only paid the bills
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
He was in such a shock that didn't know what įo do or where to go

Does the mortgage named under the ex couple?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
on their both names

If they are both registered as legal owners (on the register of title, or title deeds) then his rights to remain in the home come from that legal ownership.

He may apply for an occupation order from the court to allow him back into the house and the continued use of its facilities.

As to the appeal, he can appeal the financial order made in his divorce however, to succeed on appeal, he has to convince a second Judge that the first Judge was “plainly wrong”.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I see. I think you missed the fact that divorce took place 13 years ago. Can he still appeal?

Apologies I missed that part. Since it is already a very long time and considering that there are strict time limits to appeals, I'm afraid appeal is no longer feasible at this time.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I see. What is the time limit to appeal?

Usually you have 21 days from the date that the judge makes the order, but this varies for different courts and level of judge.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I see. Very short time. Thanks Alison. Could I ask you about procedure to follow to get money back, around 30k, person doesn't have money and owes for over 10years

You can apply to a county court to claim money you’re owed by a person. You can apply online or by post.

You must pay a court fee when you make your claim. The court fee depends on the amount you’re claiming, plus any interest.

Considering that your claim is below 100k, you can make your claim online through this link

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

AlisonSolicitor and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Good morning Alison and thanks again for your answers. I don't have any more questions at the mo. Will contact you if I have. Best wishes and good day!

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.