How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17416
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

My ex partner wants to buy me out of our house, he is

Customer Question

My ex partner wants to buy me out of our house, he is getting a new mortgage I think but will not tell me what’s happing or how he has calculated how much I’m due
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: chelmsford essex
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None as I thought we could sort out together but he will not provide me with information, also I have a deed of trust as I put most of the deposit down
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Apart from the hose we have nothing else we are not married or have any children
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

If there is a deed of trust (which you say there is) then this will confirm what happens if you part ways and if you are to be bought out.

Normally 3 property valuations should be sought and this gives the average market value. You can then work out how much you should be due.

Ideally you seek legal advice on this and to also have a lawyer liaise with your ex partner to try and reach an agreement.

If an agreement is not possible then you could apply to the court for an order for sale to release your share. If that happens you could be given conduct of the sale.

Given the dispute it would be advisable to use a law firm for this - to ensure you recover what you are owed, more than anything else.

We can't give legal advice and can't act for you in this dispute as we are not a law firm (we are an internet forum so we give general information and guidance only, from a legal standpoint).

However, any of the following firms could assist with this :




Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks