12826847

I’ve got 2 parking tickets and I only got a letter for one

Customer Question

Hi, so, I’ve got 2 parking tickets and I only got a letter for one of them (I only got this when it got to its being passed to a court) I’ve never received any letters for the other, or anything at all. They now want me to pay a total of £340 but they’re unable to prove that I received these letters? Because I didn’t, the first one I received I got in contact straight away to pay. Please help!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: ive tried to contact them to explain this, and say I’m willing to pay the initial cost before they increased it due to them sending multiple letters (which were never received) so I’m happy to pay the original but it’s just the excess, now they’re saying they won’t speak to me
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i don’t believe so :)
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Who is the issuer?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
IPC - international parking community
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do you want me to attach one of them?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please help me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Are you asking if you are liable?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m liable for the tickets and I’m aware of that, but they’ve got no evidence of letters being posted and now telling me I have to pay an overdue charge for not paying, but they can’t tell me when I got any of these letters and I believe the first letter I got was a court letter
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

But this is private land?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’d say so, but they’re threatening to take me to court. Can I send you a copy of one please
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

You can do that but it really doesn't matter.

They are entitled to do this. They always did have a perfectly valid breach of contract claim. The issue was that they went around impersonating the local council and they don't do that anymore. What they have sent you as a letter before action which they are entitled to do and in fact under an obligation to do. If you are liable for these tickets then you should probably be trying to settle the claim unless you want to run the risk that they won't sue which they might not

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi, but there’s no evidence to suggest they ever sent me any letters? Which I don’t believe they did. I’m happy to pay the fines, it’s just all the extra charges they’re applying
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

It doesn't matter.  This is private land.  The test is entirely different.

The only letter they have to send is the letter before action.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
despite the original cost was £60, and they’ve now risen this to £170 per ticket, for letters which I haven’t received, that’s ok?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Yes.

At court it would be about £250

Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

But they may accept less at this stage.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I should pay an inflated charge without evidence they even sent me any letters?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

If you are liable for these tickets then you should probably be trying to settle the claim unless you want to run the risk that they won't sue which they might not

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I don’t understand how this is my fault
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Well it might not be.  Save for the breach originally.  sometimes life is unfair. It might just be that you've had bad luck.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,