MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

I have the only copy of my ex husband's will and I have just

I have the only copy of my ex husband's will and I have just been told by the police that he has died. How do I check if he had another will after our divorce. I am not sure what to do as he wrote his family out of his will.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Essex UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None, I have only just been contacted by the police
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was the victim of domestic abuse and not sure if the will is still active

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

You will need to apply for probate to determine this - usually, executors named on the will can apply. Do note that before applying for probate you must estimate the value of the estate and work out if there’s Inheritance Tax to pay.

However, you may first check the following web pages to see if the will has already been published online: National Will Register (hotline at +44 (0)330(###) ###-#### or Gov UK Service.

You may also order the will via post using this form here. The form contains postal and mailing instructions.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Why are you trying to take £50 from my account. Please cancel this transaction. I have not agreed this

I will refer this to customer care for you and they will take care of this.