Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

What do you consider as a small Claim? London, no steps,

Customer Question

Hi. What do you consider as a small Claim?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: no steps
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: mmhh, I don't know. What do you consider as a small claim? is it up to a specific amount?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

I see you have already mentioned that you want to know about small claims. However, I would be grateful if you could please provide some more details of your circumstances to enable me to understand your situation better. I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Ben. I'm the business owner of 'The Austrian House®'. I do have a Street Food Truck and sell Austrian/ German Street Food to our take away customers. Since last year, our food truck had been staying in front of Shoreditch High Street Station. This was (or still is) an agreement with TfL. Back in 2020 Tfl did have this project with more than 70 mobile business opportunities, different places to trade from TfL ground. There was an official bidding and as I was the highest bidder, TfL offered me three (!) locations where I can have a food truck to trade. Unfortunatelly, due to different problems, TfL needed to stop this project quite soon and most of that mentioned opportunities were never available. However, TfL offered me three pitches and we started trading at Shoreditch High street Overground station in July last year. Now, after one year of trading at Shoreditch TfL informed me that the two other pitches will never be available and there will not be any other location available. Here is the point: Based on the TfL offer of giving me three pitches to trade, I founded 'The Austrian House' and did invest more than 100k into a production side with all the production machines necessary to produce all our food by ourself. I was permanently asking TfL proberty Manager about when the other two trading pitches will be available, but TfL did change the managers so many times, there was never a response from anyone about this case, except around three weeks ago I did receive an email from someone at TFL saying that I don't get any other pitches (as this project was stopped anyway month ago). I owe TfL about 25k rent for the last year, which I'had never paid. I don't want to pay this open amount and in addition, I want to hold TfL accountable for our losses we made and want a compensation of 50.000 to 100.000 pounds. Is this anything where you can help?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

We do not offer legal representation so won’t be able to assist with taking this matter further. However, to answer your original question as to what is considered a ‘small claim’. The Small Claims Court is part of the County Court and it deals with claims up to £10,000. As your claim is for between £50 – 100,000, it will not be considered a small claim. Any such claim will still go to the County Court but will be assigned either to the Fast Track or the Multi Track system depending on what the court decides.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/advisernet/04080403-ew-the-fast-track-and-the-multi-track-in-the-civil-courts-pdf-8.pdf

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 days ago.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.