Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I need advise, my vet took my dogs teeth without my

Customer Question

I need advise, my vet took my dogs teeth without my permission
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Four of his incisors Watford
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have spoken to the vet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No nothing else
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

I understand your dog's teeth have been removed by a vet without your authorisation. Has the vet provided a reason for doing this?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They said the teeth were spolit and decaying causing pain but my dog never indicated this, he is a playful dog, like to pull and bite on things.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
They did call me after I dropped him to say one of his canine was fractured and would I want it extracted I said no, I have to discuss with my partner whom is the primary owner and that I am due to travel, cannot afford an extraction. We ended the call after I told her no extraction just a clean
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
When I spoke to the vet on the day and the day after she apologized knowing what she had done was against my wishes and that she had not called.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She is aware she acted without my permission
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
has said so herself
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I cannot afford a call at 44 pounds
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My dog is due to be 6 in four days time and has stopped drinking water, he is sluggish and tired
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.
No problem. Phone calls are an additional service, which is entirely optional. You do not need to choose to request a phone call as I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Given the above information is there enough to sue or for compensation
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for providing the information requested. So that I can best advise, what specifically would you like to ask about this please?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Please I need advise as to what to do next as I believe they are liable
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

I understand, and what are you ideally hoping for, given the circumstances?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Compensation for emotional distress and negligence in proper protocol under the give registration
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
For the vet.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

OK I understand and thank you for providing the information requested. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens.

I should also make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She kept saying I didn't charge you for the teeth we took, that she did what she thought was best but also realises she should have called me for permission given she was able to call to inform me of a single canine....
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She didn't take the canine we discussed but then took it upon herself to take four upper teeth... My dog now refused to drink water, Im due to travel and now considering losing 1600 not to travel. The cost of someone having to take care of him hasn't been considered even after I said I am travelling no extraction.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I look forward to hearing from you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 days ago.

I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

The main issue in the circumstances is that pets are treated in the same way as inanimate objects on law so you cannot sue for persona injury to them, and you also cannot really claim for emotional distress related to how they were treated. You can only claim for damages/losses caused by the vet’s actions, which would mean the costs of the unnecessary work (which they are not charging you for anyway); any additional fees which may be needed to put things right (that is unknown yet as you simply do not know if there will be any adverse effects from this which may incur further fees); and worst-case, the value of the dog in the event it dies or needs to be put to sleep as a result of this.

You can still lodge a complaint about the vet with their regulatory body but that won’t get you any compensation, it will just potentially result in further action being taken against the vet, such as a fine or other penalty.

If further costs end up being incurred and the vet is not willing to cover these, that is where you can seek potential compensation. If a party wishes to pursue another for financial compensation arising out of a dispute between them, they can potentially do so by making a court claim. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for compensation. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The other side will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the other side that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial payment of the amount sought in the claim.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.