Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I need advice for payment that I made for flight and I

Good afternoon
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I need advice for payment that I made for flight and I didn’t get ticket
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: i haven’t taken a step yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: nothing
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

I understand you have paid for a flight but not yet received a ticket. Please provide some more details of your situation on here

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was meant to travel with my children on this 5th of August this Friday

OK and has the agent provided a reason for not issuing a ticket?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I had made a deposit of 1570 pounds and I had a balance of 300 pounds to pay and I had bin asking them to issue me my ticket and they told me to wait till today before I make the final payment and then they will issue me my ticket
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Only for them to tell me today that they will refund my money and instead of issuing the ticket

Thank you, ***** ***** you made the final payment?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I asked them to refund the money today so that I can quickly buy another ticket and they where not responding to the message and my calls
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have 300 pound left to pay they didn’t provide the account to make the payment and they didn’t respond to my message when I asked them for the account to pay them money to

OK so have you tried to call them at all, or have you sent them any formal written requests for this information?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have called them several times and I also sent them email without any response

OK thank you, ***** ***** were you last in contact with this company please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Today

but you said you had no reply, so when did someone from the company last communicate with you?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Today

OK I understand and thank you for providing the information requested. Please do not worry and leave it with me for now. I will get back to you with my full reply on here; usually the same day and the system will notify you when this happens.

I should also make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I will be dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.

No problem at all. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity. Many thank

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Will you get back this week as I’m hoping to travel with my kids this friday

Yes I will get back to you at some point today. Thank you in advance for your patience

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My children are really devastated. I don’t mind if the agent want to add more money I just want to make my children happy

Many thanks for your patience, it is appreciated. I am now pleased to be able to provide further assistance with your query. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to be going through.

If the company is issuing you with a refund, they have 14 days to do that so even if you require the money today or tomorrow, legally they are not obliged to refund it that fast. Even if they issued the refund now, it may usually take a few days before it reaches your account anyway.

Your rights are mainly there in the event the refund does not come at all, rather than if it is not issued straight away. So if you eventually realise that they are not willing to issue the refund, you can eventually pursue them for the money you are owed.

If money is owed by one party to another, the debtor can potentially be taken to court to try and force them to pay up. However, as legal action should only be used as a last resort, there are certain steps that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without the need to involve the courts. It is therefore recommended that the following steps are taken in order to try and resolve this:

1. Reminder letter – if no informal reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the other party to voluntarily settle this matter.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but have been ignored, the other party must be sent a formal ‘letter before action’ asking them to resolve this amicably within a specified period of time – 14 days is reasonable. They should be advised that if they fail to make contact to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to pursue them for the money that is owed. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this without the need for legal action. There are numerous templates available online for such letters and a simple search will bring up a list of useful results.

3. If the letter before action is also ignored, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome. There will be a fee payable, which depends on the amount that is claimed. The debtor will eventually get a copy of the claim and they will have a limited time to answer it. They could accept it and pay what is owed, they could accept it only in part and defend the rest, or they could outright reject it. They could also completely ignore it, in which case judgment will eventually be entered automatically against them. Also, it is worth noting that the simple act of submitting a claim could show the debtor that this is being taken seriously and prompt them to consider negotiating a potential solution to stop the claim progressing further, such as offering full or partial repayment.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for your advice. I emailed them yesterday but there was no reply from them. I’m hoping to get my refund. Much appreciated
My pleasure