JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I have an saving and curent account with Natwest A while ago

Customer Question

Hi I have an saving and curent account with Natwest A while ago they decided to closed all my account within 60 days without any reason but in the meantime they closed my current account earlier because i tryed to maie a switch wich didnt happend
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: but thwy didnt wait for the procedurre to happend london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So I opened another bank account with Hsbc and went to nat west to transfer all mu savings because my money ate stuck there
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: and thet said 7-10 working days which didnt happend i went again in branch and they said 5 working days maybe
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

There is an option and it's the only one available in my view, short of pursuing them with court action.

Given the dispute with the bank you can avail of the Financial Ombudsman Service dispute resolution scheme - which is much quicker than court action and free to use.

You have to go through a complaints procedure first.

You have protection under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 here which means you have a right to expect a service carried out with reasonable care and skill.

Furthermore, the account service should be “fit for purpose” and “as described”. If it isn’t then you can allege breach of your consumer rights and breach of contract.

You should now make a formal complaint and if that does not resolve the matter ask them for a "deadlock letter", which is a letter giving their final response.

You can make the complaint here: https://www.natwest.com/support-centre/how-to-complain.html

When you do make the complaint, tell Natwest that you plan to report them to the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) who regulates them. You can reach the FCA to report them on 0800(###) ###-####if you wish. It may speed matters up.

Once you have the deadlock letter the next step would be to escalate this to the Ombudsman - they will investigate and liaise with the bank which would hopefully result in a resolution of the complaint in your favour. They can order the bank to make a financial award for inconvenience if they have acted poorly.

Once you have their final response, you can make the complaint to the Ombudsman here :

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain

Or by email:***@******.***

Based on the circumstances, assuming the bank does not uphold your complaint, I am sure the Ombudsman will do. The Ombudsman will look at this case independently and will make a decision based on what happened. Their decision is binding on the bank

The above is the only way forwards in my view, short of court action as I mentioned earlier.

A lawyer is not required - the procedure is set up for consumers and small/medium sized businesses as a means of alternative dispute resolution.

If the Ombudsman did not find in your favour, therefore, you then have the option of suing the bank for breach of your consumer rights and you have up to 6 years to bring a claim to the court (the limitation period is 6 years from your date of loss, to when you need to issue a claim).

This is considered as a last resort though - I am sure the Ombudsman will resolve this given the facts.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
jimlawyer i had already contacted the nat west team complain and they said to wait 5 working days!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** take up to 8 weeks for the bank to resolve the complaint. Then up to 16 weeks for the Ombudsman to give you their decision.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I understand,they said someone will call me in 5 working days regarding the complain!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** would say that's about right with it being 1 week. They should be back sooner but you could call them tomorrow as they take complaints by telephone.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Thanks for your advice!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

Just to speed it up a bit

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
At the phone I made the complain!
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 17 days ago.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** reply to you shortly I am sure