How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anthony Chendo Your Own Question
Anthony Chendo
Anthony Chendo,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 3654
Experience:  Solicitor at BLM
Type Your Law Question Here...
Anthony Chendo is online now

I live in a private rented flat for last 2 years and since

Customer Question

I live in a private rented flat for last 2 years and since moves in there has been alot of repairs that need to be sorted but my landlady does get any of the problems sorted and hasent done for thoes 2 yrs and over
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in woolwich london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've told em I would citizens advice if things don't get sorted they did try and repair 1 problem but didn't do the proper work required to do so
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes the landlady always tells us to pay fir the repair and they deduct it out of rent
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 7 days ago.

Welcome to JA.

Please note that this is not a chat service therefore you may experience delays.

I am sorry to hear about your situation.

When is the fixed term agreement ending?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Waiting on the new tenancy so not sure wen it ends
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Can u cancle the payment as I didn't request phone call now I'm down £50
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 7 days ago.

It appears the phone call request didn't go through therefore please contact customer service if you have been charged.


Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 7 days ago.

In the mean time i will review and respond to your question on this chat today.


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
We haven't been charged so it's OK thankyou
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou so much as my partner has been waiting over 2 years for property upkeep and maintenance and nothing is ever getting done and she still willing to take the full rent of £1,100
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Sorry to bother you but any updates
Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 7 days ago.

Thanks foe your patience.

The landlord and tenant act imposes a repairing obligation on the landlady. Further It is likely your tenancy agreement imposes the same too.

I should also add that the law also states that the landlord must ensure the property is in a habitable condition.

In view of the law and circumstances it appears the landlady has breached the agreement and thus I suggest you consider filing a complaint with the local council as they can force the landlad to repair the damage.

I hope I have clarified the position.


Expert:  Anthony Chendo replied 6 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify the answer given. If you require further legal advice on another matter, please create a new question and tag @anthonychendo in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

Thanks and stay safe