How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17416
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I recivieved a letter from a company called Hidenda Tax.

This answer was rated:

I recivieved a letter from a company called Hidenda Tax. They say I have signed a legally signed document claiming a Marraige Allowence Refund on 01/07/2022.I have not signed anything they have sent me.They say i can view the signature on line.I have not replied.Is this a scam for older people
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I have not spoken to a lawyer.we live in England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None coz I beleive this a company trying to scam pensioners like to give them information they can use
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We claimed the tax relieve for married couples & where told a company Claim my tax that we were not entilted for a rebate for the last 3 years but maybe for the next ones.What my concern is this a legally binding agreement,which i never signed to & they will charge me £300 if I dont respond

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

It sounds suspicious if you didn't sign anything.

As they need a signature from you to mean you are legally bound to pay anything to them.

There are reviews online from others to say there is an electronic signature - and using scare tactics to get you to pay.

If you click here: you will see what I mean.

If you did not sign anything, you are not liable for anything. So you can refuse payment and perhaps refer them to the above website and ask them not to harass you again.

If you are being harassed by them, there is an option and that would be to apply to the local county court for a civil injunction. This a court order requiring them to do something or refrain from pursuing a course of conduct.

However, before you do this, send them a cease and desist letter to warn them of your intentions unless they stop (and give them 14 days to stop their conduct to allow them to seek legal advice).

A template “cease and desist” letter is available at this site :

If you go to the search box in the top right corner of the site, it will bring up a list - you want the "general" letter. You can use your own letter if you wish - it just has to make it clear this is a cease and desist letter, that you demand they stop their conduct, and that if they do not within 14 days you will apply to the court for the injunction and seek your costs.

That letter may well be enough to stop the conduct - as an injunction is a serious legal remedy. The judge will want to see that you have sent the cease and desist letter given an injunction is a last resort.

I hope this helps

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


JimLawyer and other Law Specialists are ready to help you