Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I've draft a disclaimer form for an event for attendees to

I've draft a disclaimer form for an event for attendees to complete when attending on some private land, and would like it validating. Is that something you could help with?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've drafted the document.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

This sounds like a very interesting business project.     I am delighted that you have had the foresight to seek legal advice from a solicitor and am hopeful that I can advise you further on the necessary legal steps to realise your commercial aims in this matter.

Please upload a document or paste the text of your disclaimer and I shall review it.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Ed, I've just uploaded the document. Thanks

Thanks, ***** ***** take a look at it and feed back asap.

I have reviewed the draft disclaimer and it is very poorly drafted and not fit for purpose.   It appears to have been drafted originally by non-lawyers and bears all the hallmarks of “being put through the wash a few more times” by non-lawyers.

In particular, you as a service provider in a business-to-consumer contract are unable to contract out of liability for defects in your services and consequential losses such as death and personal injury through your negligence.   In the event of a dispute, a court will take a very dim of your attempts to limit your liability in such a way that is illegal under the legislation protecting consumers from unfair contractual terms.   It is likely that the court will set aside your written contract and apply statute and common law to determine the outcome of the dispute.

You must use a properly drafted supply of services agreement for business-to-consumer contracts.   There are plenty of online legal databases such as Simply-Docs and RocketLawyer where non-lawyers can download free legal documents, such as Terms and Conditions, Sale and Supply Contracts and Privacy and Cookies Policies, for a reasonable subscription price.

However, non-lawyers drafting their own legal contracts and policies (even if they are based on cogent, reliable precedents) is often a recipe for disaster as the documents will contain legal terminology that laypersons do not understand.

As a result, there has been a spike in Probate and Commercial Contracts Litigation in recent years due to “homemade” Wills and Contracts that were drafted by laypersons who did not appreciate or understand some of the legal terminology. This has led to confusion, uncertainty and dispute and has cost parties thousands more in legal fees fighting their co-beneficiaries under a disputed Will and former business partners under a Contract who have taken issue with what the parties thought was agreed at the time.

As your Commercial Contracts Solicitor instructed under a formal solicitor-client retainer with my main “virtual” law firm, I can provide a much more thorough and bespoke document-drafting service beyond that which I can provide on Just Answer (which is very often “pointing customers in the right direction” for the purposes of obtaining further legal advice) and draft you a set of contracts and policies which are robust, effective and protect your commercial and legal interests as far as the law permits.

Better to spend a few hundred or even thousand pounds on solicitors’ fees at the outset of a deal and get it right from Day 1 rather than risking losing many thousands more in damages and legal costs if things go wrong at a later date.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but I must be as honest as possible with you to advise in your best interests.

I hope this is a satisfactory initial reply to your question and you understand my recommendations. Please revert to me if you do not understand anything and require clarification of my answer and I shall be delighted to assist.

I can also offer a Premium Service Consultation for an additional fee if you need detailed and bespoke legal advice. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and phone number. I can review any relevant documentation and consult with you by telephone for around 20 minutes. This will give you a clearer picture of your legal position and your potential options for progressing the matter to the next stage.

If you require further legal advice from me on another topic, please create a new text thread on the portal and tag @EdTurner in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
EdTurner, I've accepted. I'm not sure if it's passed my email address through to you to arrange a time for the call.

Thank you for your time on the phone earlier. I look forward to speaking with you at a later date.

If you require further legal advice from me, please create a new text thread on the portal and tag @EdTurner in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

LawyerEd