How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Turner Your Own Question
Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2888
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ed Turner is online now

My company is a member of a trade warehouse so if I buy a

Customer Question

My company is a member of a trade warehouse so if I buy a product from them for my personal use am I covered under the consumer rights act
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Stockport
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have complained to them and have received a reply that because they are a trade warehouse I have no claim against them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The product in question is Karndean Palio Clik and Karndean have examined the floor and say that the product was not suitable for the application
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

I am sorry that you are facing a potential dispute with a retailer but hopefully I can assist you in resolving the matter before it escalates and you are forced to incur significant further legal costs.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

Who purchase i.e. paid for the product; you or your company?

What was the date of purchase and the date of return?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My company 27/01/22 it has not been returned
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

This is a business-to-business transaction then and the consumer protection regulations do not apply.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Do I have any cause for complaint against my supplier or their supplier
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

You can claim for a refund in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation.

How much was the price of the goods?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
163;3300 inc vat
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

You have a claim in breach of contract and breach of the sale and supply of goods and services legislation against the supplier of the goods.      The Defendant was under a duty in contract law and statute to provide you with a product and service that was fit for purpose, of reasonably satisfactory quality and matched the description at the point of sale.   Your damages will be a refund on the purchase price, plus additional costs of rectifying their defective work through another supplier.

You should send a letter of claim to them. There are plenty of free templates online and the consumer protection advice magazine/website “Which?” has a useful template which you can adapt to your claim.

If they do not reply with their reasons for disputing the claim within 21 days, you should issue court proceedings via the Government’s Small Claims Track Online System.

The issue fee depends on the total damages being claimed. If you issue online, the court issue fee ranges from between £35.00 for a claim worth up to £300.00 damages, up to £455.00 for a claim worth between £5,000.00 and £10,000.00 damages. The Small Claims Court Online Portal will advise you on the fee when you come to issue your claim, but you may check the Government’s Court Fee advice booklet EX50 at PDF page 5/21 accessible at the following link.

A party cannot normally recover solicitors’ costs on the Small Claims Track. However, it is designed for non-lawyers (known as “Litigants In Person”). The trials are relatively informal, and the judges do not expect parties to have the same legal knowledge as experienced solicitors and barristers.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

I hope this is a satisfactory initial reply to your question and you understand my recommendations. Please revert to me if you do not understand anything and require clarification of my answer and I shall be delighted to assist.

I can also offer a Premium Service Consultation for an additional fee if you need detailed and bespoke legal advice. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and phone number. I can review any relevant documentation and consult with you by telephone for around 20 minutes. This will give you a clearer picture of your legal position and your potential options for progressing the matter to the next stage.

Kind regards


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the positive feedback.    :)