Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have been employing a cleaner once a month for some years.

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have been employing a cleaner once a month for some years. I was referred to them by word of mouth and have paid cash each time. I have not been referred to their terms and conditions nor was told to refer to their website until now.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Hampshire. But what I am trying to say is that they knew we were having a conservatory built so had to delay them for a few weeks. Then just 6 days before they were due to come. I asked them
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: To delay again for 2 weeks because the building was being constructed. They said it was too short notice and would charge us a cancellation fee. I said that I would not pay unless they came in on the day booked for a couple of hours work upstairs away from the construction work. They said that they had already filled that slot. Do I have to pay them even
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Do I have to pay them even though there has never been anything in writing, not even an invoice.
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 6 days ago.

The terms and conditions can only apply if you agreed to them for example if you signed up online then they likely apply to you because they likely were on the website but if you never saw them then they do not apply to you. If you called to cancel or told them you were cancelling then I do not think the fact they rebooked you can rely on but you can rely on the fact you did not agree to the terms and conditions. I trust this assists