Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

We are due to go to Holland (my husband is Dutch) on 19th

Customer Question

Hi, we are due to go to Holland (my husband is Dutch) on 19th August but we have just discovered that our youngest son's passport expires on the 13th November 2022. We only found out yesterday about the 3 month rule. He is only 2 weeks short of this and we are only going for a 2 week holiday - which we an prove. It is SO late to get a new passport - do you think that we might have a chance if we can PROVE that we are only staying for 2 weeks - that he is in the educational system in England due to start back on 5th September - and that he is with us, who have jobs and also need to get back? We could show them our travel tickets and report back to them in 2 weeks? Do you think there's a chance they might let us do this? Or do you know a way to find out about cancellations for the London passport office for a fast track passport? Thanks in advance...
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: We have done everything too try and make an appointment to get a fast track passport but the only option we are given electronically is Belfast on 17th August - that is too far to go and doesn't give us the week we need to get the passport even if we did go. We are in Bognor Regis, England. My husband is a Dutch National and I am English - the children are Dutch/English but only have UK passports...
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No, I don't think so,
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 10 days ago.

I do not think there is any possibility of getting a new passport in time given the bookings for even fast track passport appointments are 3-4 months away. Therefore, yes I think you can still try and go ahead but you need to be aware they may refuse entry in Holland. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
We knew this already but thanks. What I was wondering is this: I understand the reason that a person needs 3 months on their passport is that they will be able to come back and won't be stuck there. Do you think it will make any difference if we can prove that we are coming back in 2 weeks - our tickets back on the boat, the fact that our son is due back at school in England on 5th September etc and that my husband is due back at work? Do you think this kind of proof could help our case if they stop us? It will prove that we are coming back - and that is the reason for needing the 3 months, isn't it?

Yes all of that will assist because it shows your connection to the UK and your intention to return, as well as when before the passport expires. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks - so it's worth compiling all the proof of this that we can.... another question - do you think the fact that my husband is Dutch will have any influence at all?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Also, do the machines at passport control automatically flag up the expiry dates that aren't within the 3 months or is it down to the officer noticing?

Absolutely, compile all the proof you can. Yes, I think the fact your husband is Dutch is likely to have a subliminal effect in the sense that they are less likely to want to refuse his child's entry into his homeland. No the machines will not be an issue it is only down to the officer. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks - is there ANYTHING else we could prepare that would help our case, that you can think of?

No I think you are covering the bases very thoroughly. I trust this assists