MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

Can you apply for UK citizenship if your great grandparents

can you apply for UK citizenship if your great grandparents were born in the UK

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

To give you an answer, If your UK-born parent or UK-born grandfather was employed by the UK government at the time of your or your parent’s birth you could be eligible for British citizenship.

However, If you weren’t born in the UK, but you have a parent who was, then you may be eligible to claim based on descent.

British nationality rights can be passed down to children whose father was born in the UK. The claim will depend on when the child was born when the father was born, and whether the parents were married at the time of the child’s birth.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi yes please
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am trying t find out if my father can apply for british citizenship
His great grandfather on both his mother and fathers side were born in the UK. My father, his father and mother and his grandparents were all born in south africa They all had south african passports.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
His parents have recently died
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I can give you more dates if you need them, but i am trying to inquire if I need to hire a full time immigration lawyer or if it is not possible and I am wasting my time

Apologies for the late response, as I am not always online but rest assured I will respond when I'm available.

To answer your question, if your father's grandparents were not British citizens, then your father cannot apply for citizenship on this basis. Provided, if there is no document that he can provide to prove that his grandparents were British.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it is not possible to apply on great grandparents?

He can claim British citizenship by double descent if his great-grandparent was born in the UK. This is known as double descent. However, your father must have been registered for British citizenship while he was under the age of 18. In the current situation, he already lost his right to claim British nationality through double descent. 

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He was 18 in 1978. they did not know about his great grandfather or that he was British. Is there absolutely know way we could apply any way?

Since he is already an adult, he must apply for citizenship by naturalisation. This means that he must have Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) status in the UK to apply.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
He is not in the uk he has been living in South africa and is now in panama
Would he still be able to apply for ILR?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Or is it possible that he could apply for residency?

He must live in the UK for five years to apply for ILR. ILR is the same as residency in the UK.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. We are always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
hi martin
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
my boyfriends mom's granddad was born in the uk
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
we just found out and were wondering what the process is for applying for uk citizenship for her
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
is it possible you can please help me with this - thank you

Good morning.

Yes. She can apply for citizenship by descent. If you want a local solicitor or an immigration firm to assist you with her citizenship processing or application, you may access this link: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk