SASH_Law
SASH_Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
96947008

I have signed up with a company called Idivorces to start my

Customer Question

I have signed up with a company called Idivorces to start my divorce 17 months ago and I feel like I have been given the run around, what can I do
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Plymouth
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: They submitted my case to the court but put on the petition that it was a 2 year consensual divorce. Its not I wanted the divorce on grounds of unreasonable behaviour, the courts send the papers out to be amended, we did that but forgot to amend the date, the court sent the papers back to them in March to be redated and I still do not have the forms to redate them
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I know the original papers were sent to my husband back in March last year and he did not sign them or return them. I have asked idivorces to send me the papers that was over a week ago and still no papers
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, how are you today? 

My name is Lea. It would be nice if you could let me know your name, so that I know who I am talking to. I am going to see if I can assist with your query. I may need to ask you additional questions and it is important for you to answer all the questions clearly, so that I have the information I need to give you an accurate response for your specific legal situation. JA is a Q&A website, and this ‘chat’ is email based, which means responses may not be immediate. Do rest assured however, that I will be providing you with an answer to your query today.

The site will offer a phone call, this is automated and it is important for you to know that I do not make calls. I will answer your query online.

Please confirm that you have read and understood this message and then we can begin.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi my name is Trudi
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No thanks
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello Trudi

To be clear, the court hasn't actually accepted your petition, is that correct?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am not sure I have a case number, but the petition has been sent back to IDivorces in March
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.
Was the original petition completed online?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No IDivorces filled the partition in
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Can I just stop this petition and start over
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

They filed it to your local court?

If so, then you can approach the local court to provide you with a copy of the petition and amend it yourself.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No it was filed with the family court in Bury St Edmunds, is this normal
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

You would only be able to apply to dismiss your petition if the spouse has not been served. You can apply for the petition to be dismissed on form D11.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Yes, you can approach Bury St Edmund's for a copy of the petition and amend it yourself.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The court said they sent all 3 copies of the petition back to IDivorces in March. How do I know if he has been served we do not communicate, he was issued with a 2 year restraining order by the courts which expired in 2021, I cannot talk to him, I get PTSD just thinking about it
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Sounds like the court doesn't have any copies then...I am sorry but you are either going to have to keep nagging iDivorces, or make an application on form D11 to withdraw the petition (even though it would appear it's never actually been sealed and served - check with Bury to make sure).

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your help
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

You're very welcome, glad I could assist.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

If you have new questions and wish to ask for my assistance, you can do so by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading of a new thread. Alternatively, once you have rated this question, you will get the option to add me as a favourite expert from your membership page. Then, when you wish to ask me another query, you can then simply type “@“ followed by my name in your next chat, e.g. @SASH_Law.

Please note that there is no need to respond to this message.

Thanks for using JA! All the best!