TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

I bought flights with air France to Cape town return. I

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I bought flights with air France to Cape town return. I spent £42 reserving them for 48hrs and then paid for them before the 42hrs were up. I got a confirmation from air France and the money was pending in my account. This was happening for a few days and I called the bank to check if everything was ok. They said it had been authorised however they had not claimed it (air France). They did not claim it in the end and air France cancelled the booking even though they had confirmed the flights. What can I do? The cost of the flight was never taken and the money is still in my account... But I am now down £42 from initially reserving the flights.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: No I have not I live in the UK London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Called them up - they told me I could pay for it. I said I need to get my card. Called back an hour later and some different said that the flights for me had been cancelled and that I would need to book a new flight. they have refused to return the money. Told me to email them. Have not heard back from them for more than a week. I have done nothing wrong and followed all the steps set out
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No - I have screen shots of the confirmation and confirmation emails
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 11 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 11 days ago.

Hello, can you please upload here the confirmation email you received from Air France?

Can you also clarify how did you make the payment of the booking fee and attach the receipt for such payment?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 11 days ago.
Hello, in the lack of the clarification requested, I'll answer based on the information you gave.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 11 days ago.

As the service was not provided, If you paid by card (debit or credit), you should be able to raise a chargeback claim to get the transaction payment reversed to your card.

You will find information on how to raise the claim on your bank's/car provider's website.

It is of the essence that you act swiftly, as these claims must be raised under strict deadlines from the date of purchase.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.