MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

How easy or difficult is it to take someone to court for

Customer Question

How easy or difficult is it to take someone to court for slander
JA: Cases to do with slander depend on many factors. Can you provide me with more details about the situation? How long has this been going on?
Customer: It started Friday/Saturday just gone
JA: Where are you located? Laws regarding slander vary by location.
Customer: Hook Hampshire UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, The person concerned had committed evidence to the police that I was stalking her, thi was found by the police to carry no wieght
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 13 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No

In the UK, slander is not a criminal offence. However, Slander is a civil wrong. Therefore, a slanderer will be held liable for their actions, and you, as the victim, will have the right to take legal action against them and gain compensation for any losses.

Before making a slander claim, you must ensure your case meets any of the following criteria:

(a) The slander is presented as fact. This point means that the statement must have been made as fact, not as an opinion.

(b) The untrue statement is made through a third party.

(c) The statement should have caused ‘actual damage’ to the victim.

In most successful defamation claims, the following remedies may be available for you:

• Damages. In slander cases, damages come in the form of compensatory and exemplary. Compensatory damages are money offered to the victim to compensate for any loss. In comparison, exemplary damages are a punishment to deter the defendant and anyone else from conducting similar behaviour.

• Injunctions. Injunctions prevent the defendant from publishing any further defamatory material and can be put in place before, during, or after the trial.

It is highly recommended to have a solicitor assisting you in your case. Would you like me to provide details on how to locate one close to your home address?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

To find a local solicitor within your area, you may visit the following website and use their search function: https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.