JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

How much does it usually cost to have a solicitor represent

Customer Question

How much does it usually cost to have a solicitor represent you in court for a final hearing and for consultations beforehand?
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Southend on Sea, England
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: A few hearings regarding a child arrangements order
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: its a messy case but this should be the final hearing
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We have the court bundle
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 16 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in family law and dispute resolution so I'd be happy to offer some guidance on this matter.I'll need a little more information to fully answer your question. First and foremost, how old are the children? How long is the hearing scheduled for? Have there been any reports by CAFCASS or the Local Authority? Thanks, J
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The child is 3 years old. The hearing we presume is scheduled for a day. Yes, CAFCASS have done reports.
Hello again and thank you for reply. In fairness, most solicitors will not carry out advocacy at a final hearing. Furthermore, senior solicitors will often charge £250 - £300 per hour (outside London) so you might be better off appointing a direct access barrister who will have a conference with you a few days before the hearing and represent you on the day. Depending on their seniority, they will charge between £3k and £5k.
That's a fixed fee for a barrister. A solicitor would likely charge you by the hour.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is a mckenzie friend something I should look into if I can’t afford that much?
A Mckenzie Friend cannot speak on your behalf. They can, however, provide sensible guidance and help you organise your paperwork/notes on the day as well as take notes for future reference.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Do you know of any decent ones?
In fairness, I don't come across them that much. There is a network of McK Friends - a lot have often worked in law so they have a good understanding of the process. I suggest you have a look at this website: https://mckenziefriend.net/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN2fWAwArh2y9yW7J-B2TOfrOlXScR4x22ugbxYsUoyJJFNjCfyJJ1MaAmo8EALw_wcB
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I don’t want to get ripped off
I've just found a guy online who I came across some years ago. I don't know where you're based but he works in Winchester and travels to London and Birmingham for cases. https://www.mckenziefriend.co.uk/
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Southend on sea
I believe he travels that far but I'm guessing he may charge for the travel costs.
Another option
May be
Seeing if you can find a barrister willing to act pro bono (free) for you.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Why would any
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Anyone do that for us
https://weareadvocate.org.uk/
http://www.nationalprobonocentre.org.uk/npbc-charities/the-bar-pro-bono-unit/
A number of barristers will offer a few days a year to help out pro bono
If you've got a little bit of time before the next hearing, it might be worth exploring this option.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
We think the hearing is in two weeks though
It might still be worth making the enquiry but you'd almost certainly need to know the date of the hearing to secure a pro bono barrister.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thanks
My pleasure. Would you like me to clarify anything we've discussed?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
No thank you. You’ve been very helpful thanks
Genuine pleasure. Please feel free to mark any future questions FAOCustomeras I'd be delighted to help. In the meantime, thank you for your question and for using Just Answer. Best wishes, J