Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I want to know what if I have booked a researvatio in one

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I want to know what if I have booked a researvatio in one restaurant and the credit card has charged me £40 pending amount of no show reason. But in fact I came there and the staff just notice me that the kitchen will be closed soon within 20 minutes. But the bar still opend until 12.30am. I cannot drink alcohol so I told them I can book by myself on website on the next day. And when the next day came, I showed up and they remember me. And, I ate food in this restaurant as planned. But found out that I was still charged for £40 of no show reason. What should I do to against this T&C? Since I think it is not appropriate to charge me in " no show reason" they not specify the time that kitchen will be closed on their website
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: clearly manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I chatted to them and they said
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Hello there. Unfortunately all
bookings are made under clear
T&Cs (24 hour + to be given for
cancellations) which are listed in at
the top of our Openable listing.
This is a standard policy for fine
dining restaurants now (both the
£20 per head cancellation charge
and the 24 hour notice), and
without having such in place would
simply result in businesses such as
ours being unable to operate. Thank
YOuCustomer: Chat is completed
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (VLTP463)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You can see on the attached pictures.
Hello, I’m Ben, a solicitor, and it’s my pleasure to assist you. I may ask for some preliminary information to help me determine the legal position.

Have you challenged the card provider over this? 

I also wanted to make you aware that this is not always an instant service, due to various legal engagements I could have and I may not be able to reply immediately. However, rest assured that I am dealing with your query and will get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
The card provider stated that I need to negotiate with the restaurant who charged my money.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
File attached (S4P77ST)

Thank you. What time was the booking for and what time did you turn up?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I booked 30July Saturday 3.00pm and showed up 3.17pm but the restaurant said their kitchen gonna close at 4pm so they afraid I cannot order food but if I order cocktail is ok because their bar gonna close at midnight.So, I decided to book new reservation on website by myself. The new reservation is on 31th July, Sunday. 1PM and I showed up on time.But they still charged me on no show up reason for my first reservation

So technically you were late as you were more than 15 minutes late than the booked time and they say that if you had turned up within the 15 min window they would have still served you food?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They said that.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is there any way to negotiate? Since I was really showed up but the kitchen was closed without noticing on website.

Thank you very much for clarifying. First of all, I am sorry to hear about the issues brought up by this. It must be a frustrating situation to go be going through.

The first thing to check is the booking terms and whether they specifically mentioned that you only get a 15 minute grace period to attend. If that was the case and you were late, then you have breached their terms and conditions and it does not matter of the kitchen was closing. You would have only had a challenge there if you arrived on time and they would not serve you because the kitchen was closing but that did not happen as you were late.

So really, you can only negotiate if there was no 15 minute window mentioned and you could not have known that if you were late by more than that you would be charged.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
They stated that We have a 15 minute grace period. Please call us if you
are running later than 15 minutes after your booked
time.
We may contact you about this booking, so please
ensure your email and phone number are up to date.
Your table will be booked for 1 hour 30 minutes for
parties of up to 2; 2 hours for parties of up to 4; and 2
hours 30 minutes for parties of 5+.
Please note we require card details to secure all
bookings. Any cancellation received within 24 hours of
the booking will be charged £20 per person.

So you did not call them that you are running late?

I trust that everything has now been dealt with to your satisfaction and your original question has been resolved. If you have any further queries about it, please do not hesitate to get back to me on here. In the meantime, I wish you all the best.