How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 82087
Experience:  Over 15 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I need help. I am dealing with bailiff, regarding council

Customer Question

Good morning.
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I need help. I am dealing with bailiff, regarding council tax. I owe £4000 am a low eraner. Working 22.30hours a week. Since Monday I have COVID. Can't go to work. Tomorrow I will have a visit from enforcement agent.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: In London Brent council.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I tried to talk to the enforcement agent to reach a deal. They agreed, I was giving them 100 a month. Now they said,, they have another 2000 added, I should clear the old debt at once to pay the new one at 100. I was willing to go to 150 a month for all of them when put together, but they said no.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No just because Once or twice I did not pay on time but made a new arrangement to continue paying, which was agreed.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

What can I do for you?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Am stuck with council tax bill. I need your help to reach an arrangement with the enforcement company. I have already said what's happening in an earlier conversation.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

I do understand that this is stressful but the problem is that there are no magic wands. All you can do is try to negotiate with them.

What you can do is park your vehicle in a locked garage or many streets away because they will see is that at the drop of a hat.

Generally speaking they will want these things paid off within three months. If you cannot do that then your only option is to pay as much as you can in the hope of deterring them. Often they will say that they can’t accept the offer but not enforce if its being paid.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 days ago.

Im really sorry but that is the position.

I am sorry but I have to tell you the truth.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.


Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem.

If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC

Thanks again,