AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

I have inherited a garage from my late father, this freehold

Hi, I have inherited a garage from my late father, this freehold property is now in my name and I wish to sell.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: My question is, my late father allowed a friend to store some car parts in this garage for free as a good jesters. But I obviously need to garage emptied.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Sorry, UK Bridgnorth Shropshire
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been to the persons house and informed them of the sale and verbally given them 14 days to remove their possessions

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
To be fair that about sums it up, the garage is now on the market so needs emptying

When you met with them and told them to remove their property, how did they respond?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Only the husband was there, he didn't know what was in the garage but agreed the son had stored things in there and said he would pass on the information. I said thank you and that I would follow up the conversation with written letter to that effect

Was there no agreement between them and your father? As there might be a verbal storage agreement and on how to end this?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have been through all of his paperwork and found nothing written, I think knowing my late father it would have been just OK he (the son) can store his mini in there while he was renovating it. My father sold the house some 6 years ago but the new owner did not want the garage as it was detached (on a different road!) and was just left. My father then had an accident and ended up in care for the last 4 years of his life and passed away Jan 2021. Following probate, the garage is now in my name. Having visited the site, discovered the items within but knew who it belongs too

I see, then what you did is correct.

After the verbal notice, you must also send a written notice and the 14 days notice is also ideal as most storage companies only gives a 10 day notice.

This would be just enough time for them to remove all their property.

Ensure to include that any item left behind will be disposed of and that they clean the property.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** needed reassurance that I was not doing anything illegal! I have written (but not sent) a letter to that effect but wanted to check
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I will post today recorded delivery, should the 14 days be from Saturday 30th when I spoke or from date of letter?

It would be better from the Letter, as it is easier to prove than a verbal notice.

And using the post for recorded delivery is a very good move.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK thank you, no that is all. again thank you for your help

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry today, please do not hesitate to contact us in future if you have further enquiries.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will do

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.