Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a website selling furniture supplied by UK based

Customer Question

Hello, I have a website selling furniture supplied by UK based companies. The titels and descriptions are also supplied by the said suppliers which are the same as on their own commercial websites. Yet I have been accused of copyright infringement by the trademark owners but my suppliers are not! Please help
JA: Do you have a registration record?
Customer: what is that?
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer? What documentation do you have?
Customer: I have invoices from my suppliers
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes, we advertise on Google and the objection came from a company that claims they own the copyright, therefore Google has blocked our website ads.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question.

Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

I will try and answer your question promptly, but as this is an online service there can be delays.

Don’t worry you do not have to wait here for an answer and you will get an email when I respond.

Now let me just take a look and your question and I will see if I can provide an answer for you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

That is strange. You need to check who owns the original text. It is that Company you need permission from.

So your supplier that uses it, may have permision.

But if they are using the same text, that is fine subject to the above.

But if you are using that text and do not have permission from the Co who wrote it, that presents you with difficulty.

Its like me taking a photo, allowing from friend to use it, but then HIS friend wants to use it. His friend would need my permission.

I hope that my reply helps.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

I was just following up to see if there is anything else I can assist you with today? If so, just let me know.

If not, then I am happy to have been able to assist you.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I am sorry you may not have fully understood my question
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Our supplier gives us the text to use that means they have given us the permission to use so my question was that if our supplier using the same text is not breaking or infringing the copyright law then how am I doing it if it is exactly the same
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

Ok - you have a website. The titles are supplier by the supplier, which is the same as their own websites.

But you have been accused of copyright, but your suppliers are not.

So assuming you are using the text without permission of the author, thats an issue.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

If your supplier gave you the text, but THEY did not write it, that is an issue.

I hope that helps.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Our supplier is the author of the text and they are giving the same text to hundreds of resellers like me around UK who are selling on eBay Etsy various other online markets so I am wondering why I have been singled out for this and yet others were operating for years are operating with impunity
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I did mention this to the company that objected in the first place but they did not respond they said they are aware of our supplier using this text but they had no intention of doing anything about it so I am wondering if it is a case of bullying the small business and not going after the big one who have the resources to fight them
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 10 days ago.

Ok - then if there is a threat of infringement I would not worry.

All you need is a statement from your supplier giving authority.

That is it. Nothing else needed

I hope that helps.