ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

A neighbour's elderly cat came into my (fully enclosed) back

Customer Question

A neighbour's elderly cat came into my (fully enclosed) back garden. It attacked my dog and we eventually separated the dog from the neighbour's cat after it repeatedly came at our dog. My wife, a vet then put the cat in a cat carrier and took it back to the neighbours. The neighbours have come around to my property today and stated that they intend to sue us for our dog killing and for the veterinary bills to have their cat euthanised.What recourse do they have in law and if my dog is insured will the insurance cover this liability?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No thank you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry wasn’t absolutely clear but the neighbours had their cat put down after it fought with our dog.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. If your dog is insured this usually also includes legal expense coverage. As such, your insurers should be able to provide legal expense coverage in the event of being sued. I recommend speaking to your insurers now about the incident. Some policies have a clause which voids the policy if you do not report an incident within a certain timeframe from it happening.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Based on what you have said, there is no legal liability on your part. If the cat entered your yard which was secured. There would have been no onus on you in these circumstances to keep the animal safe. I therefore do not see you being legally responsible.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok and with regards ***** ***** for for the cat’s death. Is this a civil matter?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

In terms of what to do, there is really no positive steps to take on your part. You may encourage your neighbours to discuss this amicably through mediation. However, it is ultimately a matter for them whether to bring a claim or not. If they opt to do so, then it would be for you to defend the claim denying liability.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

It is a civil rather than a criminal matter.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks sorry just seen your second message
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

That’s fine.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 13 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No thank you, you’ve been very helpful
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 12 days ago.

You are welcome