TheLawLDN
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Experience:  Expert
116381621

Is there any way I can deal with Easylife. I had, as I

Customer Question

is there any way I can deal with Easylife. I had, as I thought got them to leave me alone, but suddenly after two years, I find they have debited my account
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I live in Scotland. I haven't talked to a lawyer yet. It relates to a British company.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Previously I took several phone calls to cancel my 'subscription' to them but they appear to have resurrected it. The company is Easylife
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I'm a pensioner, and I am not very expert on the Interned, so please let me take my time to answer questions.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.barcouncil.org.uk/find-a-barrister.html

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Hello, I will try to assist.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Can you clarify how they debited your account?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
They present a direct debit from my account. I was told they would delete my details and as nothing happened for months I took thst to be the case
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Months or two years?

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

When was this Direct Debit set up?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My husband needs me now.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

Yes, but please provide me with the clarifications requested as soon as possible, so that I can answer your question.

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 8 days ago.

From your messages, it is not clear when you would have cancelled your account - you said you did not hear from Easylife in "two years", but then say "months" - and how you did it.

If you are sure you cancelled, you should send a formal letter to Easylife - copying your bank - by recorded mail with proof of delivery, asking for a refund of the money that they charged you.

These are the contact details of Easylife, taken from the T&Cs on their website:

For Customer Support:
0333(###) ###-####(Local Rate Phone Line) Weekdays 9am - 5pm
*****@******.***

For website queries or issues:
*****@******.***

By Post:
Easylife Ltd
Unit 5, Cremers Road,
Dolphin Park,
Sittingbourne, Kent.
ME10 3US

You should check when the Direct Debt was set up and, if the company did not charge you for a long period before this time, you should complain also about this.

However, you should be aware that a DD can remain "dormant", within its original validity, for some time, and the first thing you should do with your bank is to try to cancel the Direct Debit mandate, if necessary mentioning that you cancelled your membership with Easylife already some time ago.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.

Regards.