JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

My friend has just bought a car from a garage but he’s

Customer Question

My friend has just bought a car from a garage but he’s unable to tax it as the garage didn’t give him the V5 slip. They said it’s all done online now and that they would sort it but they haven’t. What steps should he take to ensure his vehicle is legal to drive
JA: Where is your friend? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He lives in Cambridgeshire, but bought the car from Wembley in London
JA: What steps has your friend taken so far?
Customer: He’s tried to contact the garage numerous times over the last few days but they still haven’t sorted it. He’s insured it but is it legal to drive until the tax has been sorted ? He’s applied for a new logbook online which he paid £25 for. We’re worried he’s been scammed ?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He’s done an HPI check and that all appeared ok
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Your friend needs a V5 to tax the vehicle, or the new keeper green slip.

As they have the code required to tax the vehicle. The car should not be driven on the road until it's taxed. Your friend should ask the garage for the green slip if there is one.

You can't tax the car until the new logbook arrives unfortunately - whilst he has insurance, the car must be taxed otherwise it may be impounded and/or the Police could fine him with penalty points on his licence.

It is legal to sell a car without a V5 - it's always advisable to buy a car with either the full V5 or the green new keeper slip. If you don't then you run in to this problem and sadly have to wait for the new logbook to turn up. As such it is not a scam in my view - a legal owner can be separate to the registered keeper (a V5 is not evidence of ownership).

It may be possible to call DVLA and ask them for the code from the new logbook to be able to then tax the car online so that's my recommendation - to call them on their number which is 0300(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

I hope this helps

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,

Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Jim

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Jim, many thanks for your help. I will pass this information to my friend and hopefully he gets it resolved quickly. If I have any further questions I’ll let you know. Thanks again for your help. Julie
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 12 days ago.
Hi Julie, my pleasure, thank you
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
JimLawyer
Hi Jim, further to my question yesterday, is my friend entitled to ask for his money back and return the car as the garage haven’t done what they said they were going to do ?
He has no paperwork, not even a receipt
The garage said they would tax the car for him for 6mths but they haven’t.
The DVLA weren’t very helpful and said they have no previous keepers for that vehicle ? The vehicle is 10yrs old so surely there would be a record somewhere of the previous owner/s ? Julie
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 11 days ago.

I'd say it's reasonable to ask to return it yes, on the basis the garage did not do what they say they would. There should be previous keepers unless the car is recently imported to the UK.