How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ReadyLaw Your Own Question
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4994
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
Type Your Law Question Here...
ReadyLaw is online now

I'm unsure if i have a case or not, I will explain the

This answer was rated:

Hi, I'm unsure if i have a case or not, I will explain the situation
JA: The Lawyer can help you determine if you have a case. Where are you located? These laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Barnsley, South Yorkshire, UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thanks
Hi welcome to justanswer
I am Readylaw one of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou, I will explain below please bare with me
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am unsure if I have a case or not,
I will explain the situation below,
7 years ago I got a compensation payout and bought myself my first car which was £6000, I had this car for 10 months and my Grandad was not happy with the car for me and said he would trade the car in and get me a better car, at this time I was 18 and had only just passed my test, my grandad traded my car and got me a Toyota Yaris hybrid,
To my knowledge at the time I believed my grandad had part ex my first car and got me the Yaris as this is what he told me, 1 year later in a general conversation he slipped that he was fed up of paying for my Yaris, I asked what does he mean the car is mine, he then told me he traded my first car ( Toyota Aygo) for the Yaris on a PCP agreement and was paying monthly for it over 3 years and then I would have to give the car back or get a new one or take out finance, the PCP agreement was in my Grandmothers name, all this I was unaware of and I was not very happy, he then told me I had to start paying the monthly installments, which I did for the remainder of the agreement, after the 3 years passed I then decided to swap the Yaris and get a new PCP, again in my Grandmothers name and I got a Toyota CHR, please bare in mind my Aygo was given as deposit for the Yaris and made us have equity in the agreement making monthly payments lower, the CHR agreement was over 4 years which I payed for 3 years, I then fell ill and could not work for a couple of months so my Grandparents took the car off me, we then fell out due to this and also finding out some historic actions involving my Granddad and mother, since taking the car back off me he has traded the CHR in again and got a new CHR at a lower monthly rate due to equity from my Aygo and my 5 years of previous payments, I am now left with no car, I believe this is fraudulent or something and if possible I would like to try and get something back from them as they are benefiting from my initial Aygo deposit and payments and I'm left with nothing. Please bare in mind I was not in anyway aware that my Aygo was traded for a PCP agreement, I paid for that car outright and was conned. Do I have a case? Thankyou, Georgina Broadhead
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello are you still there?

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I am currently in the process of reviewing what you have written to provide a written response here. Kindly give me a minute to do so.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou very much, appreciated

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. You would have certainly been entitled to whatever money was received from the sale/exchange of the Toyota Argo. If this car was paid for outright by you, then any proceeds from that vehicle would have been yours. You would have therefore have to consent to your grandparent using the proceeds from this towards anything else.

The only difficulty I envision you having however, is the years which have passed since the initial exchange. Ordinarily, you have three years within which to bring a claim. This incident happened five years ago. The only exception to this is if you were to go from the date you became aware of what your grandfather did.

However if I am being absolutely candid, claims do have limitation periods. This means you have a time frame within which to bring a claim. My concern is you may have waited a little bit too late to take against your grandfather.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thankyou for your reply, I thought that maybe the case, when I originally found out I was not so bothered as I had a new car, it's only since what has attained recently that I thought I maybe able to get something back from them, thankyou for your time
You are welcome. Sorry not to have been able to give more positive news.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the name Readylaw as a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thanks and I will of coarse request you if I need help again

You are most welcome

ReadyLaw and other Law Specialists are ready to help you