How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask UKSolicitorJA Your Own Question
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8392
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
UKSolicitorJA is online now

Dear Sirs, I’m from Sweden. 1985 I lived in Brighton. I

This answer was rated:

Dear Sirs,
I’m from Sweden. 1985 I lived in Brighton. I suffered from mental illness and was sentences for shoplifting twice. I got a fine both times. I now plan to visit U.K. as a tourist and I want to be sure that I have paid the fines before I go. I was advised to contact Brighton Magistrates Court where I got the fines. At their web site I couldn’t find an email address directly to the court. At their site they refer questions to Crime customer service center and I contacted them. I was advised to contact Historic debt, and got contact with a person at HMCTS Wales Enforcement Office. She searched and informed me I didn’t have any outstanding fines in their system.I now wonder if I have to contact the Brighton Magistrates Court directly too? Do they have other, local systems that they look into or did the search that was done by HMCTS Enforcement Office include the eventual local system? (As I’m not British I don’t know the organization).Thank you in advance!Kind regards,

Hello Helene,

I am a solicitor.

As the fines were issued more than 30 years ago, I doubt that they are still showing as pending, you may visit the UK and I do not expect any issues with these fines which you may treat as written off.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello, Thank you for your promp answer! Earlier I was informed that there is no statute of limitations in the U.K. for unpaid court fines. They can go unpaid for years or a summons could be issued followed by a warrant. Maybe I have misunderstood?

Yes, there is no statute of limitations for court fines but due to the time elapsed and the fact that you were not resident in the UK all this time, it is likely that they fines have been written off. You may therefore ignore them or if you really wish to, you may visit the court premises to check and pay.

All the best

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. Do you know if it can be checked and paid by contacting the court by email? If yes, do you know their email address? I intended to send an email to the court in the first place but I couldn't find any address. At their web site they refer enquiries to Crime customer service centre and Single Justice Service Centre.

This is the only email that I have which is on their website:


Good luck

UKSolicitorJA and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help.

You are welcome.