How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2044
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

During the high winds the fence between us and neighbour

Customer Question

During the high winds the fence between us and neighbour became unstable. I secured it and told him that it required fixing. He agreed and said he would help with costs
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: North Shields. We have since waited u months for part of £400 cost. He declines now to pay anything
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The fence has been repaired at above cost and we have been asking repeatedly for money. His latest statement was” well I don’t know where the boundaries are
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: At the time of the repair he stated he was financially embarrassed so I said I would cover the and wait for money
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

In this case, I would advise you to make a small claim to court against your neighbour. You should write ‘Letter before claim’ at the start of your letter to show this is a formal letter. Your letter should include:

  • your name and address

  • a summary of what’s happened

  • what do you want the person or business to do about it

  • how much money do you want - like the cost of repair or a replacement - and how you’ve calculated that amount

  • a deadline for the reply - usually 14 days

  • that you’ll start court proceedings if you don’t get a reply

You should also say that you and the defendant both have to follow the court’s rules on what to do.

You should say: ‘I refer you to the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct under the Civil Procedure Rules, and in particular, to paragraphs 13-16 which set out the sanctions the court may impose if you fail to comply with the Practice Direction.’

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

However, if you don’t get a reply or you’re not satisfied with it, you can start your small claim. Print and download this form: Form N1

If you need help with the N1 claim form, you can contact the County Court Money Claims Centre. You’ll need your case reference.

County Court Money Claims Centre

Telephone: 0300(###) ###-####/p>

Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5pm


Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 6 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.