ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I joined a salon renting a room contracted for two years. i

Customer Question

Hello, i joined a salon renting a room contracted for two years. i did not sign my copy to the landlord and advised them of this numerous times and they did not give it back to sign. however i advised them i will be leaving 20th august 1 month early to end of contract. unfortunately due to negative comments and leving my room unlocked with clients important information open. i decided to empty my room sunday and advised i am not returning. she is nwo asking for a months rent
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Aldridge walsall uk
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Ok thank you
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
My rent was paid until 3rd august i left on 31st (advise di would leave 20th) but due to the above issues i couldnt mentally take anymore. she is trying to claim i owe a months rent as it taking me to court
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello are you there
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. I do not have good news in relation to this I’m afraid. You are regally required to give the requisite notice as per your lease agreement to leave.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

If you fail to do this, then legally the landlord can demand rent for the remaining time on the lease. This is the case irrespective of how acrimonious things would have become between yourself and the landlord.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Even if i have signed this?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
havent
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
she also agreed i could leave 20th i paid until 3rd so technically i only owe 17 days?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for your patience and enquiry. If it was agreed that you could leave by a particular day, then you would only be legally responsible for the rent up to the date it was agreed for you to remain in the property.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Can they charge me for everyday as I only work one day a week but pay for a full month
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They are also slandering me today infront of customers
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
They can charge you for the full month’s rent. For slander, you may bring a claim against them for defamation of character. This is where someone makes a statement to a third party about you, which is untrue, and damages your reputation in their eyes.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

You may therefore consider whether to take this route

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add the nameCustomeras a favourite expert. You may also tag me in a question starting off with @Readylaw.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
They have been discussing the issue Infront of clients today
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

Please have a look at my above recommendation with respect to a possible claim for defamation

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
She has now stated she does not wish to take me to court via text can she go back on this?
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.
she may go back on this.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have had a customer of theirs message me to say they were not being nice about me and the situation is this defamation
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 15 days ago.

You may decide on the circumstances to bring a claim for defamation of character.