ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

How do I extend the lease on my property??….I have 94 years

Customer Question

How do I extend the lease on my property??….I have 94 years on the lease right now & have been looking into a later life mortgage with the building society im with at the moment but according to them I fall short by a couple of years this is why I’m trying to extend the lease now (I’m age 64)…I just need some free advice at this stage I know I will probably have to pay some costs but I’m trying to get some clarity first!!!???Annie
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in Surbiton kt65ab
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I haven’t done much yet because iv been asking the managing agents to give me Bussiness Flats who are the freeholders details so I can speak with them as I believe this is the first thing I must do ….I’m waiting for a reply from Willmots they are the managing agents ….
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: What other sort of things would they need to know ???…,im happy to oblige
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Just all information regarding my extending the lease on the property as talked about with the previous person....
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. You are correct with respect to the first step in the process. It really is a matter for the freeholder whether to accept your request to extend the lease. Your lease agreement should stipulate under what circumstances the lease may be extended and how you may go about doing so.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

If the landlord refuses to agree to an extension you may then have to go to the property tribunal with respect to this providing you meet the eligibility criteria. The usual requirement is for you to have owned your property for a minimum of two years to apply.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Please see below link with an article that explains simply the process of applying to the tribunal if your landlord refuses the lease extension.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-guide/lease-extension-getting-started/

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 16 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.