How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4256
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have been given money from my sister. This has been added

This answer was rated:

I have been given money from my sister. This has been added to my main account. The child support agency has contacted me indicating that my income has changed based on this money coming into my account. Will this make them increase the amount of child maintenance that I will have to pay?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am in Bradford, England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have contacted them. They would like me to send in bank statements to prove my current income. Is this gift liable under variable income? The money was given to me to invest in property and a possible business. This could stop this from occurring.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am currently not in paid work, so making child payments have not occurred for the last two months. I hope to start work next month and then payments can happen from my salary.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you by the end of the evening.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist ifi in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Thank you I am just looking at this for you now.

Thank you for the information.  A payment increase or reduction occurs when your income changes by an amount exceeding 25%.  However in addition to this a gift should not exceed £3000.  You will want to provide the information they have requested and comply with their instructions.  However, in general cash gifts are not included as income.  This could have been an automatic trigger as the amount entering your account exceeded the standard.  However it will be up to the CMS too look at this.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you.

You are most welcome and I wish you all the best.