How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 17401
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I need to get out of a tenancy contract, in the UK, I have

Customer Question

I need to get out of a tenancy contract
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: in the UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have looked at the help citizen advice bureau offer regarding this
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it is a contract I signed in June and it is a year contract but I need to terminate it
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

I am one of the legal experts on the site and I am a dual-qualified solicitor (UK & Republic of Ireland)

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Sorry to hear of the issue.

Could you confirm the reason that you want to terminate - has the landlord misled you, is the property in disrepair, does the landlord agree to you wanting to leave?.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hi I want to terminate the contract due to the fact I was misled by my landlord, when I went for the viewing for this property I wasn't shown my exact apartment that I moved in but I was sold that they all looked the same, i was only able to live in this property for 2 weeks due to the fact that there is not a window in my bedroom and the heat and humidity in my bedroom was unbearable and impossible to sleep due to the fact that I haven't got a window in my bedroom
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the landlord to this place never allowed me to view this property and made it apparent that the other flats that i had viewed will be the exact same as the one I was getting
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the other flat I viewed had big windows in the rooms and the one I am at does not have a window
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I need to terminate this contract because I can't live in this property and I have not lived in the property for more than 3 weeks due to this reason
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Thanks and sorry to hear.

It would be possible to unwind the tenancy if you were misled - though you will need the landlord's agreement for this, or a court order. You will need to put your request in writing to the landlord and to ask for a full refund.

Here is a useful link for you :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Bear in mind you should seek to agree this with the landlord. If you simply terminate and leave they will likely sue for breach of contract and for the full rent. 

It may help to use a law firm in this situation if the landlord is likely to be difficult.

Here are a few choices for you if you would like to use a lawyer (if you ask for the housing team):

1. Brown Turner Ross, tel: 01704 542002 (housing department)

2. Stephensons Solicitors, tel: 0161(###) ###-####/p>

3. Duncan Lewis, tel: 0333(###) ###-####/p>

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

I hope this helps for now

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

It was a pleasure to assist you today and I hope this answers the question.

If you have any follow up questions or if you would like me to clarify anything I have said, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Many thanks,


Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Just a final note that if you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question starting off with @JimLawyer.

I look forward to helping you again soon.

Thanks again,


Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am going to have a look at the link you sent me and see if its useful regarding my situation
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** be as it deals with misleading a tenant.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
okay thanks
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
how do I contact you if I need any further information ?
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

Hi, if it's within a week please come back here. If it's over that then you can request me in a new conversation

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no problem I appreciate the help
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 7 days ago.

My pleasure, thanks

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
To whom this may concern,I am writing to you to express my concerns in my flat. I have been sold the flat under false pretences. Prior to moving in myself and my flatmate persistently tried to get viewings for the exact flat we would be moving into. We were assured that the flat we would be moving into would be exactly the same as the ones we had viewed. These flats were all two bedrooms, kitchen and bathroom. Each bedroom had windows, including the kitchen.I was surprised that the lettings team were adamant that we could not view the exact flat we were moving in to which was a concern already.The corridor leading to our flat was already extremely claustrophobic and very hot. The heat is unbearable making you constantly feel faint and causing migraines. Living on the fourth floor we understand it may get a little warmer than other floors, however this heat is unhealthy and extremely unbearable.Walking into our flat the heat did not escape us. Our flat was still as hot and sticky as the corridor floor. When walking around the flat and familiarising ourselves with our new place we came to find one bedroom without windows. Instantly we knew how these conditions would not be liveable conditions. Due to these issues and being misled to sign the contract, I have not stayed in this property since the first week of signing. I have had to pay to live elsewhere due to the high levels and heat and no circulation whatsoever. I would like to speak to someone in regards ***** ***** issue to get out of my contract.Essentially, I do not wish to take matters further, legally; however if I do feel as though my email has been ignored or we have not come to some arrangement I am happy to take this matter further.Thank you, ***** ***** Flat 408 The Lightbox.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** I said in my answer you should ask them for their agreement to unwind the contract in that they misled you from the outset.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
okay I will ensure I ask them to unwind the contract
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 days ago.
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 days ago.

As you can see, you can make a demand that you want to unwind the tenancy under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
sounds perfect
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 6 days ago.

Thanks and good luck with it