Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I own a clothing manufacturing business, I have been

Customer Question

Hello, I own a clothing manufacturing business, I have been harassed by a client and threaten with legal action, I need a legal advice, is that something you could help with?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: West London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing yet, I haven't answered her emails
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have been bullied and harassed by her and I have everything recorded on camera
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.
I understand your query relates to a client of your clothing business. Please provide some more details of what exactly the issue is
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Is there any chance to talk over the phone?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.
I understand your query relates to an issue you have with a client of your clothing business. Please provide some more details of your situation
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Unfortunately I am not available for a phone call at present but please do not worry as if you request one, it will remain open to all experts and if someone else is free they will call you. In the meantime, I am still here to deal with your original query in writing over this chat.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 days ago.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I actually need to meet up with someone in person or talk with them over the phone, this service is not for me but thank you for your time
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

No problem, unfortunately we do not provide face-to-face advice. I will give you some general information anyway.

Whilst a party can make demands for payment, instruct debt collectors or threaten legal action, it is important to note that they can only really force someone to pay if they actually go to court, submit a claim and are successful with it.

There is, however, no guarantee that they will actually ever go that far. Many people issue threats and demands, without ever having the intention of taking the matter to Court. This is done in the hope that the scare the other party into complying with their demands to avoid the risk of being taken to Court. However, until a formal notification of a Court claim has been issued, there is never a guarantee that a claim will actually be made and it could always remain just a threat, rather than reality.

Even if a claim was made, due to the value of compensation sought, this matter would be assigned to the Small Claims Court. This is a relatively low-risk option because it is specifically aimed at the smaller, legally unrepresented parties. The costs of claiming are not that high, there is no need to have a lawyer and incur further costs as a result and even if a party loses the claim, they will not be liable to pay the other side’s legal fees. All they would have to pay is the court fees, which at most will be several hundred pounds and whatever the Court has decided should be paid to the claimant as a result of their original claim.

Also, once judgment has been issued, on the assumption you lose, the judgment is entered on the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines, where it will remain for 6 years. This is what is known as ‘having a CCJ’ and can impact your credit rating. However, if payment of the judgment is made within one month, the record will be removed from the Register and will no longer be visible. If payment is made after one month has passed, it will still remain on the Register for the 6 years, but will be marked as ‘satisfied’.

To conclude, it is possible to wait and see how far the other side is willing to take this before deciding on how to respond and even if a claim is made, it is possible to proceed and defend the claim in the knowledge that the financial risks of doing so will not be astronomically high and if any judgment made against you is paid within a month, there will be no further repercussions.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you very much!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 days ago.

You are most welcome. If you have any further questions about this, please do not hesitate to get back to me and I will be happy to help. All the best.