How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TheLawLDN Your Own Question
TheLawLDN, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 393
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
TheLawLDN is online now

My cousin from Greece had a car and then left to go to

Customer Question

Hi. My cousin from Greece had a car and then left to go to Greece. The car was taxed but uninsured, they have now sent a fine for £100 saying he must pay it or can be prosecuted. The car has since been sold to someone else. What can I do seeing as he is out of the country?
JA: Has your cousin talked to a lawyer about this? What country does he live in?
Customer: No he hasn't. He is living in Greece
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: Nothing at the moment
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don't believe so. Thank you very much
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 14 days ago.

Hello, I'm an adviser with JA and I will try to help you.

Please note the following:

  1. Do not provide personal information/data here. Please note that, under UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) ‘personal data’ means any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person (‘data subject’); an identifiable natural ­person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
  2. If you request a call, this can be either with me or with another expert that is available to pick your request.
  3. This service is intended for general information only, not advice, and does not include the examination of documents.
  4. JA does not provide legal representation and no client/lawyer relationship of any kind will be established.
  5. If you need (urgent) legal representation or advice, or answering your question requires the examination of documents and/or non-straightforward activity that falls outside the remit of this service, you should consider consulting a solicitor – and/or a barrister as the case may be – which you can look for at the following links:

Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 14 days ago.

Hello, can you please clarify if this fine has been issued in the UK and, if so, what kind of fine is it? Is it a fixed penalty notice?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It was issued I'm the UK by the DVLA. It says section 22 of the road safety act 2006 (under section 144A of the road traffic act 1988)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
It's a final notice
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 14 days ago.

Can you please upload this document here? Redact the personal information of course.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
File attached (37Q6V15)
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 14 days ago.

The penalty must be paid to avoid prosecution.

The person who commits this offence is given a notice offering them the opportunity of discharging any liability to conviction for the offence by payment of a fixed penalty.

If the penalty is not paid, then there could be prosecution, with a much higher fine and a criminal record.

In addition to paying, if the car was sold, the DVLA must be informed of this using the online form at the link provided in the letter.

I hope this information is helpful and I wish you the best.

Please do not hesitate to contact JA again if you need help and you may ask to speak with me directly if you wish ("For TheLawLDN only").

I would appreciate it if you could provide a positive rating, if you wish so of course.

Thank you very much.


Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you. As the person is in a different country though surely they cannot be prosecuted.
Expert:  TheLawLDN replied 14 days ago.

They definitely can.

In absence.

Not 100% sure it will happen, but £100 are worth the risk?

I don't think so.