AlisonSolicitor
AlisonSolicitor,
Experience:  Expert
117702753

Can i go to court without a lawyer? by the way :) none, can

Customer Question

can i go to court without a lawyer ?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: hello by the way :)
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none, can i tell you what its regarding ?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes please you can tell the lawyer that me and my mother bought a car cash froma dealership but the car is not road worthy and the dealership refuses to give our money back
Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialize in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately, I will respond when I return.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

You have the right to speak for yourself in court without a solicitor or other legal professional.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
the dealership has gone ahead and changed their trading name and are now trying to claim that whatever busines was done with the previous business has got nothing to do with the new business even if its still the same ownership, we havent even been able to drive the car since we go it, they had to come and take it back to try and fix it which they have failed to do but wont give us back our money...
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
will you answer me today ?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I need you to tell me if i can take this dealership to court and how much it will cost me

Yes indeed you can. What is the value of the vehicle?

Expert:  AlisonSolicitor replied 13 days ago.

Successfully suing used vehicle dealers can be tricky. Unlike new vehicle dealers, who are usually somewhat dependent upon their reputation in the community for honesty, a fair percentage of used vehicle dealers don't have a good reputation to start with and survive by becoming experts at self-protection.

You can commence a small claim or a fast track claim depending on the value. In terms of costs, I cannot comment definitively however solicitors charge in the region of £150-£225 per hour.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.