How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4264
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

It's a story. I was in receipt of income support and carers

Customer Question

It's a long story. I was in receipt of income support and carers allowance for my daughter there were questions over my entitlement which took approximately 2years for them to sort due to covid. During that time I tried to call the dwp several times and I sent 4 letter of which I took copies to find out what was happening. After my final letter my carers allowance got sorted but I still heard nothing from income support so send yet another letter. When they got back to me they said they sent me a form to fill in telling them what income I have March (I NEVER RECIEVED IT) they closed my claim down so I appealled the decision in their mandatory reconsideration. They have stuck by their decision because they say there is a presumption In law that I would have received it unless I can show otherwise. How can I show I didn't receive something? Also doesn't it go both ways I have they copies of the letter I sent them which they didn't reply to and in two of them I state what income I current ly have been getting
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I haven't talked to a solicitor and I'm in the uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've spoken with dwp, applied for mandatory reconsideration and am now starting the tribunal process
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I think that is all
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today. I am the expert who shall assist you with this opportunity

Please note, our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.

If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised I may be working through other matters however you shall receive a response as soon as I am finished with any live. However please be assured I will get back to you.

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question which should assist in clarifying matters and navigating the legal system. However, please note this does not form a professional client relationship.

I look forward speaking with you and providing help.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the information I am just reviewing this for you now and shall revert to you in due course.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 7 days ago.

If you use the Universal Credit app on your phone this would show that payments were not made, alternatively, you can provide bank statements for. the period they are referring to.  You can also ask them to show where payments were allegedly paid to and show this is no the case.   If they do not amend this and prove it to you, you could look at taking the matter to a tribunal.  If you take the issue to your local citizens advice bureau, they often benefit experts who can assist and sometimes provide representation at a tribunal.  If you win the claim the payments due would be backdated.  Alternatively you could look at instructing a solicitor to represent you.  

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area. This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful. You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m not on universal credit I’m still on the old benefits. They know they haven’t paid me they are saying that I basically need to give them proof I didn’t receive the letter they say they sent me. But I don’t understand how other than saying I haven’t received it what proof I can give them
Expert:  RJM Law replied 6 days ago.
You can still provide bank statements etc on the times they say you were paid with matching account to show the payments were not received.