How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Solicitor4All Your Own Question
Solicitor4All, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8213
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Law Question Here...
Solicitor4All is online now

I have a question about selling my mums house. She is in a

This answer was rated:

I have a question about selling my mums house. She is in a home and likely to stay there. She has enough income to pay for the home. I don’t want to keep her house on but my brother does and he’s offered to buy it. Should we get 2 solicitors? One to act on my mum’s behalf (who is also her executor ) and one to act on his? I’m a bit concerned that he’s going to push for a valuation on the lower side and ride roughshod over me to do that. He’s quite a bully. The house is a small barn conversion, on the south coast in a very desirable area so very likely to sell well above any valuation were it on the open market. We also both have PoA for finance and my brother manages her funds. I don’t want to end up in a position where he has her house and controls the proceeds of it. I’d appreciate any advice you have to offer. Thank you!
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: my brother is a very forceful and high conflict

A very good day to you there, how do you do? It is my pleasure to assist you today.

 My name is ***** ***** law expert with over 15years practice. Thank you for the enquiry.

 Before I can provide you advice on your question, there are a few things to note:

  • I will endeavour to respond to your enquiry very quickly, but if you do not receive my response immediately, do not worry I will not have forgotten, I would either be reviewing your question fully or it could be a technical delay on my end. Please know that I will be with you as soon as possible.

I can't believe how well you're holding up, considering how much stress you're under.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello. Thank you for your response. There is a third PoA by she does not wish to get involved in any financial negotiation.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I’m not feeling well enough for a phone chat but thank you b
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hello. Just want to check are you still there?

Good evening, my sincere apologies if i appeared missing in action, i am here to assist you this evening.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I look forward to hearing your advice

As you have POA you could make the decision and facilitate the sale but since you know that your brother will be difficult you should engage a solicitor on behalf of mum. Your brother can represent himself or he may choose to get a representative too. You are not obliged to sell to him if market rate is higher than what he will be offering,

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am glad to clarify anything for you. I am Solicitor4All if you wish to add me to your favourites for quicker connection. All the best

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much. Just one more query. Currently my brother manages her bank account and finances and although I also have Financial PoA he would go ballistic if I suggested I signed off any funds on my mum's behalf. If a sale were to go ahead where would the funds be transferred to in the first instance - and can I insist that they go straight from the solicitor into a trust fund?

Thank you for your patience. They would nomally go to the solicitor and yes you could suggest that.

Solicitor4All and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you very much for your help.

You are welcome