How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MARTINT330 Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 2069
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Law Question Here...
MARTINT330 is online now

Bought a car from a dealership 2 weeks ago. On the sale the

Customer Question

Hi, bought a car from a dealership 2 weeks ago. On the sale the salesman said there was no issue or problem with the car, that is false since it is broken and the mechanics say the problem was there before purchase, it isn't possible to have appeared in less than 2 weeks and less than 200 miles. I contacted the dealer saying i am rejecting the car because it is not fit to drive and had prior issues not mentioned on sale and asking for a refund. They don't want to do it. What can I do?
JA: What location is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?
Customer: London. Purchase date 15th July.
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer?
Customer: Yes, they do not want to receive the car and give the refund
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was supposed to be on vacation and this issue as cause me much financial and psychological distress. They don't reply to my emails and after hours on the phone nothing goes anywhere.
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** hope you are well today. I am a qualified Solicitor, and I will be able to help you by providing you with an answer to your question today. I specialise in UK and Irish Law. I am not always online but rest assured if I do not respond immediately I will respond when I return.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Is there anything else you feel is relevant to your question or anything else you would like to add before we continue?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The car was bought from London Prestige Cars LTD
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry, London Prestige Car Sales LTD
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

To give context to your enquiry, if a customer has ‘accepted’ an item, but later discovers a fault, the seller has the obligation to repair or replace it.

When you purchase a vehicle, you have 'statutory' rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. If you wish to refer to the legislation directly, please follow this link:

You have a right to ask for a replacement or repairs if your car is faulty, it is under the Consumer Rights Act. You can return it to them for repairs or a replacement.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

You can follow these steps:

1) You have 30 days from taking ownership of a product (this could be the date of purchase or the date it was delivered to you - whichever is later) to claim a refund if it is faulty

2) After this time you have to allow the retailer to repair or replace it before you can claim a refund.

3) In the first instance, write to the customer services department politely and objectively, so you have a written record as evidence. Then escalate if you're not happy with the response.

4) You should quote the relevant laws. Say what you want to happen - refund, repair, or replacement.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 12 days ago.

Is there anything else I can help with today?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
already did all that. The email is stating exactly all that. But there is no written reply from them, just hours on the phone with them saying I want to return the car and be given a full refund and them not taking this answer and asking me if I want to sell it back or repair it, not listening at all!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 11 days ago.

In that case send them a letter advising you will commence court proceedings, that ought to get them to pay attention. Would you like details on how to locate a local solicitor who can accept formal instructions to act?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you for your answer. I will speak to a lawyer and get a case moving in court since they do not want to take my option and rights to reject the car. They only want to fix or buy it back for less and I don't want that.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Can you advise exactly what I have to do, example paper work, forms etc to commence court proceedings?
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

No forms are needed, you only need to send them a letter that you will commence court proceedings against them.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you for your help!
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 10 days ago.

No problem. Thank you for your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us in the future if you have further enquiries.

Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your question on JustAnswer. I am always available to help and please do let me know if you have any other questions I can answer for you.