Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I need some Legal help, london, no steps, I don’t think so

Customer Question

Hi I need some Legal help
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: no steps
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t think so
Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat, replies will not be instant as a result. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

Let me just review your query and I’ll come back to you with any points I need clarifying in order to be able to answer.

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Can you tell me what this is about?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Hello, what is your question please?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry I have received a letter from my previous employer threatening me
Because they say I accepted a job with a competitor and they sent me. A letter as a breach of contract
Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

OK, as I'm not an employment lawyer I'll opt out for a colleague to assist you. You can also change the category to employment law to make sure you get the right expert.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

I am sorry that you are facing a potential dispute with your ex-employer for breach of post-termination restrictions but hopefully I can assist you in resolving the matter before it escalates and you are forced to incur significant further legal costs.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry nevermind
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

Restrictive Covenants on an Employee in Employment Contracts are very difficult to enforce by the Employer on the grounds that they are Restraint of Trade and/or Penalty Clauses which are void on the grounds of public policy. This is because they unfairly restrict a worker in their freedom to contract and freedom to work.

Although Restrictive Covenants are commonplace in employment contracts, and sometimes Employees receive threatening letters from their former Employer demanding a signed undertaking before issuing court proceedings for an injunction (especially in Sales and Recruitment where networking and contacts are the Employer’s stock in trade), this action has “bluff” and “scare” value only.

The only time a Court will entertain enforcing a Restrictive Covenant against an Employee is for a very senior and high paying job such as a Chief Executive of a global company and where there is a legitimate interest of the Employer that they must protect by preventing the employee from working for a competitor for a period of time after the Contract of Employment has ended. Even then, the Employee must have received their own independent legal advice and must have fully appreciated the implications of the Restrictive Covenant.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

If your ex-employer is claiming against you for working for a competitor, this is probably a spurious attempt at restraint of trade and any court action will fail.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

I hope this is a satisfactory initial reply to your question and you understand my recommendations. Please revert to me if you do not understand anything and require clarification of my answer and I shall be delighted to assist.

I can also offer a Premium Service Consultation for an additional fee if you need detailed and bespoke legal advice. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and phone number. I can review any relevant documentation and consult with you by telephone for around 20 minutes. This will give you a clearer picture of your legal position and your potential options for progressing the matter to the next stage.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How much does it cost?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

I have put a bespoke offer through on the Portal for a Premium Service Document Review and telephone consultation. The fee is in addition to your ordinary Just Answer subscription. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and mobile phone number through on the Portal and can accept your direct contact details.

I can review a brief amount of documentation from the customers (up to 20 pages or so).

The phone calls generally last around 20 – 30 minutes at most. I will let you know if we are going around in circles and I am repeating myself.

You will not receive any additional documentation from me or Just Answer (apart from payment confirmation).

I will discuss my fees with my main virtual law firm on the call. Under my Just Answer Expert Agreement, I cannot provide Customers any direct contact details or information about my law firm’s charges unless they accept a Premium Service Phone Call.

If you choose to instruct me directly through my law firm, this will be a different contract from yours with Just Answer. I will open a new client-matter for you with my firm and send you retainer documentation in the form of a Client Care Letter and Terms of Engagement.