Ed Turner
Ed Turner,
Experience:  Director and Consultant Solicitor (Self-Employed) at Ed Turner LLB Limited
107013918

I have problems with the university I have applied to. I

Customer Question

Good evening. I have problems with the university I have applied to. I need your help.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: No one
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I was kicked out of university unfairly.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 days ago.

Hello. I am Ed, a Solicitor qualified in England and Wales with over a decade’s experience in the legal profession advising clients.

I specialise in Commercial Contracts, Business Transactions, Employment, Dispute Resolution, Personal Injury and Road Traffic Law and shall be reviewing your legal problem today.

I shall be delighted to talk with you by phone to discuss your issue in greater detail if you accept the site’s automatic offer of a Premium Service Phone Call.

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 days ago.

I am sorry that you are facing a potential dispute with your university but hopefully I can assist you in resolving the matter before it escalates and you are forced to incur significant further legal costs.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No, it's not my fault, it's theirs fault
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Good evening. I will leave my story here.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I’m writing to you as I am desperate and my mental health is as down as it has ever been.
My name is***** and I am one of the students in Fairfield School of Business (Luton), in partnership with Bath Spa University. Or so, we the students, have been told. The reason I am writing to you is
because I have applied and been accepted by Fairfield School of Business and started my classes in
June 2022. I have attended all of my classes and my teachers can attest that I have been a good
student who is eager to learn. The problems have started when the staff from Fairfield have started
pulling students out of the classroom to complete their Bath Spa Enrolment. I was not on the first
list, but I was told not to worry as I was definitely going to be on the next one. One week later and all
of my classmates have completed their enrolment and I still have yet to receive my student ID from
Bath Spa, all this time I was being reassured by the Fairfield enrolment team that everything is
perfectly fine, I will get it by email in one, top two days. Two weeks later still nothing, in those two
weeks I was asking every day when I will be receiving it, and I was always told to come back
tomorrow. On the 25th of June, before the beginning of my class, when I asked them again about my
Bath Spa enrolment, I was told that I was not accepted by Bath Spa University as student, my heart
dropped. When I made more inquiries, I was told that I failed to finish my enrolment with Bath Spa
University, when I explained why, they told me they will investigate and it should be ok as they will
fix it, that I should keep on coming to classes, and they will let me know the next day. Next day came
and I was told they were going to appeal my case with yourselves as it was not my fault that I was
not enrolled. In the meantime, they kept offering me September courses in case it will not get
resolved. I refused them time and time again. I changed my entire life to be able to start classes in
June, I scheduled all my life and changed my workplace schedule so I can give it my all during classes.
On Wednesday the 27th I was being told that they will have the appeal the next day on the 28th and
things are looking promising. I kept asking them how this has happened and they kept avoiding my
questions, while some of the staff members where promising me that everything will be alright and I
should be submitting my first assessment, for me to receive a feedback on it from my teacher, other
people from the staff kept bulling me into accepting the September courses. While all of this was
going on I kept asking the same question? Why me? They finally told me that when they have
submitted my paperwork to Bath Spa University, due to ‘’a glitch in the system’’, they have not
received my files, but not to worry, as they will speak with yourselves and get myself back enrolled. I
was told that I will receive a phone call with more official information about that, I was told I will be
getting an official meeting with the Dean of the Fairfield School of Business, none of those came.
With anxiety running high, not being able to sleep, feeling like an outsider at classes, as everyone
else already found out, I felt like I did not belong there, with the Fairfield staff giving me ugly looks
just because I did not accept their other option, I felt like I did something wrong, when I had no
blame. On Thursday (28/07/2022), I had no official information regarding the appeal, I was told to
wait until the next week. On Monday 01/08/2022 I went back to my classes and that’s when I was
officially informed that I am no longer a student there and that Bath Spa University has refused to
enrol me so late. And then they proceeded into telling me how they will make sure I will be enrolled
in the September classes with no issues. And that I can still attend classes if I wanted to. When I
asked for an official letter from the Admission Officer with the reason I was not accepted, they
changed their way of talking to me and I was told that I have to leave the building as I am no longer
their student and that I should be receiving official information in two days. I need to say that for all
the statements made above I have witnesses. With tears in my eyes I had to wait outside for my
colleagues to ask permission from their teacher to leave as we where traveling together. I live in
Bedford, my workplace is in Wootton, I travelled from Monday to Thursday, every day, from Bedford
to Wootton for work then I go back to Bedford to come to Luton.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 days ago.

Why were you expelled from uni?

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 days ago.

This is currently an internal matter between you and the university. While there is a legal dimension to it and instructing a solicitor now may add some value to this matter for you, equally, involving a solicitor at cost may inflame matters further between you and the university.

For now, I suggest that you attend the investigation hearing (accompanied by a fellow-student to observe the hearing and take notes if the university investigation board allows) and present your defence to their charges of misconduct as best you can and admit to any unintentional mistakes. You should review in detail the university’s internal policies regarding misconduct, investigation hearings and disciplinary matters against students and familiarise yourself with it prior to the hearing.

Do not get angry or upset with the university as they will only use it against you at a later date and you may say or do something that will prejudice your defence and damage your credibility in the eyes of the board.

If the university find against you and take disciplinary action against you in the form of ejecting you from your course and the university, you MAY have claims for Defamation and Breach of Contract for which you may pursue the university for damages in the form of a refund on your course fees paid and the damage to your reputation.

I recommend that you await the outcome of the hearing and then seek legal advice upon consideration of the result if it goes against you.

You may also lodge a formal complaint with the independent regulator and student advisory body for higher education providers. These are:

The Office for Standards in Education, Children’s Services and Skills (“OFSTED”)

The Education and Skills Funding Agency

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator

Expert:  Ed Turner replied 6 days ago.

I hope this is a satisfactory initial reply to your question and you understand my recommendations. Please revert to me if you do not understand anything and require clarification of my answer and I shall be delighted to assist.

I can also offer a Premium Service Consultation for an additional fee if you need detailed and bespoke legal advice. If you accept, I will pass you my direct email address and phone number. I can review any relevant documentation and consult with you by telephone for around 20 minutes. This will give you a clearer picture of your legal position and your potential options for progressing the matter to the next stage.

If you require further legal advice from me on another topic, please create a new text thread on the portal and tag @EdTurner in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
How can be between me and the University? It's not my fault. I was not made aware from the beginning that I was not admitted, they let me stay in the classes, I uploaded half of the assessment. They did not come to me to say "hey, you have no business in this class because you are not admitted". After many questions asked by me, they came to the conclusion that I am not admitted. I was not nervous and I never bad-mouthed them. And in conclusion, is it my fault that they had an error in the system and my documents didn't go where they should?? as long as I did everything that was necessary. I submitted all the documents on time and correctly.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Students finance accepted me, my agency took their money from me as a student. How can something like this happen when I am not listed as a student?
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.
I have nothing to add to my advice above.   You need to appeal to the university and their regulators.

LawyerEd

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for advice. Have a good day.
Expert:  Ed Turner replied 5 days ago.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am delighted that you are satisfied with my reply and wish you all the very best in resolving this matter.

If you require further legal advice from me, please create a new text thread on the portal and tag @EdTurner in the expert box. I will be notified of your request and prioritise it.

LawyerEd