12826847

I would like to know if a police speeding ticket was sent

Customer Question

I would like to know if a police speeding ticket was sent but your name is ***** ***** correctly isit still valid
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: West midlands uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today. I am a barrister with over 15 years experience.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist you with this today.

Please bear with me as I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you.

Sometimes I will get back to you very quickly, other times it's going to be longer and possibly hours or overnight

Please bear in mind that it takes me time to type answers and I also have clients and sometimes have to attend court so I may not get back to you immediately.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

There is quite a lot of caselaw on the point of errors in a NIP and summonses. There is nothing cover the wrong name but one can draw inferences from other law upon the point.

The case of Bilton excuses errors in the NIP on the basis that the object of the notice is to ensure the driver is no taken by surprise long after the offence when his recollection is dulled. Therefore errors were unimportant.

The cases of Milner v Allen and Percival v Ball have allowed the Crown to change the nature of the charge on the basis that they have averred broadly the same thing.

Walton v Hawkins has said that the location is unimportant.

Goody v Fletcher has said that a mistake of one day in the date did not invalidate a NIP.

I think we can probably deduce from that that the High Court would not be minded to find that a misspelling of a name invalidates a NIP/summons.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Do remember that I can only give you my opinion.

Another lawyer may have a different opinion. Litigation needs at least 2 parties and neither goes to court expecting to lose.

Nonetheless, one of them does, even though they have been told by their respective legal advisers that they have a good chance of success.

If there was a black-and-white answer to every legal problem there would be no need for anything to ever proceed to court.

The ultimate decision comes from a county court judge in a civil case or from the magistrate in a criminal case heard in the magistrates court or the jury in Crown Court.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
a misspelling does not make it void
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

No.

Even the wrong name is ***** ***** have much impact.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What about the date issued being more than 14 days
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

It depends

Are you the registered keeper?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Company vehicle
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

In that case, no.

They would have sent the original NIP to the registered keeper.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Ok thanks for all your help.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 7 days ago.

It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification. Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me, with your legal problem. If you would like to reconnect with me at a later date, simply add me as a favourite expert and you can then tag me in a question by typing @JoC