How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9105
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Is civil partnership same as marriage for my partner to be

Customer Question

Good evening is civil partnership same as marriage for my partner to be able to recieve his brp
JA: Where is he? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He is in uk living with me we want to get married after two years being together we are enngaged now been with my, partner since october Last year
JA: What steps has he taken so far?
Customer: None we just want to get some information
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My partner is non eu citizen we live together share the bills and we want to know if civil partnership is required by Law, before marriage
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat, replies will not be instant as a result. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

Let me just review your query and I’ll come back to you with any points I need clarifying in order to be able to answer.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Civil partnership is an alternative to marriage that carries the same legal weight.

It is not something you need to do before getting married, it is an alternative way to recognise a permanent union of two people.

Is there anything more I can clarify about this for you?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Does this mean the home office would take it as us being married and my partner could apply for his brp Card? It would not have to be sent through the registr office to get permission to get married?
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

If you have a legal, civil partnership (having had a ceremony in front of a registrar), then you are as good as married. There is no difference. legally. If you are simply living with someone in a committed relationship though, without having had a legal ceremony, then you are not classed as legally civil; partnered or married.

I hope that clears it up for you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.

Have a great day!